Nice to talk to you. vs. Nice talking to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiter

Hi teachers,

Is there any difference between these two phrases?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter

DavyBCN

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Wales
Current Location
Rwanda
Jupiter said:
Hi teachers,
Thanks in advance
Jupiter

No - exactly the same

M

matilda

both have the same meaning. but the second one is better used at the end of your conversation.

sirapple

Member Type
English Teacher
Recently I have been asked the same question. Tried to look for the answer, an English linguist and grammarian George Yule says there's " [...] little difference in meaning. Others adjectives used like this include: easy, exciting, great, hard, impossible, interesting." (p.144; Yule, Oxford Practice Grammar, OUP 2006)

I've also been thinking of it as Yule tells of a 'little' difference. So I have come to conclusion that there must be some kind of explanation. I think the first one may refer to a singular situation, a specific situation; while the other to repeated ones.
I agree with Matilda the second one is better at the end of conversation.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree completely. "Nice to talk to you" more often means "It will be nice to talk to you, now that we've finally met", and is said at the beginning of the conversation, whereas "nice talking to you" means "Our conversation has been very good", and is said at the end.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,

Thanks in advance

Jupiter

Both are fine conversational English. However, with is more polite and more accurate than to.

[I edit copy and have tutored university writing.]

IvanV

Member Type
Other
I agree completely. "Nice to talk to you" more often means "It will be nice to talk to you, now that we've finally met", and is said at the beginning of the conversation, whereas "nice talking to you" means "Our conversation has been very good", and is said at the end.
:up::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.