• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

solar?

To my understanding, "solar" means "of, relating to, or proceeding from the sun". But in what I read about, it seems solar refers to a room or a certain part of a building which usually have a table in it:

"It was a conversation between them in the solar of the castle keep which was the first incident I perceived with real- life clarity. .. There were a couple of books scattered across table in the solar - probably to make William feel inadequate because I gathered he could not read. .."

"Amalric was seated on Louis's right at the linen-covered high table in the solar on the second story of the palace."

"Now the leaves of parchment are spread on the table in the solar I built for Lisbet so many years ago, and between pacing the room in worry and watching her slumber, I am studying ..."

What does "solar" refer to in those examples?

Fizi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: solar?

To my understanding, "solar" means "of, relating to, or proceeding from the sun". But in what I read about, it seems solar refers to a room or a certain part of a building which usually have a table in it:
    You're right, it refers to a type of room. I didn't know this word either, but found it on the net.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_%28room%29

Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

It says Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name though.

Post Thanks / Like

solar
    This article is about the room known in medieval times as a Solar.
    For Solar as an adjective referring to the Sun, see Sol, Sun, and solar power.
    For the comic book character, see Solar (comics).
    In English medieval great houses and castles, the main room was known as the Great Hall, in which all parts of the household would eat and live, with those of highest status being at the end, often on a raised dais, and those of lesser status further down the hall.

In time, a need was felt for more privacy to be enjoyed by the head of the household, and, especially, by the senior women of the household. The solar was a room for their particular benefit, in which they could be alone (or sole) and away from the hustle, bustle, noise and smells (including cooking smells) of the Great Hall.

The solar was generally smaller than the Great Hall, because it was not expected to accommodate so many people, but it was a room of comfort and status, and usually included a fireplace and often decorative woodwork or wall hangings.

The name fell out of use after the sixteenth century and its later equivalent was the drawing room.

The etymology of solar is often mistaken for having to do with the sun but this is not so. This misconstruction may result from the common usage of the solar; embroidery, reading, writing, and other generally solitary activities. These activities would need good sunlight, and it is true that most solars were built facing south to take maximum advantage of daylight hours.

This entry is from Wikipedia, the leading user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (see full disclaimer)

Donate to Wikimedia

Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like