Post Thanks / Like

How to study english well

Dear,

How to study english well. I still fell not comfortable to use it after 10 years's studying.

Thanks,

Hai

matilda Guest

Talking Re: How to study english well

what do you mean by how to study english well?
    you should study and practice well and continiously.
    otherwise you'll forget whatever you've read before.
    try short stories first and then novels.
    and listen to news or english channels.

there are lots of ways.

and read as much tread of this site as you can. no matter you are interested in the subject of the tread or not. read the treads and the replies.

regards

Matilda

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to study english well

Quote Originally Posted by haiwu
    Dear,
    How to study english well. I still fell not comfortable to use it after 10 years's studying.
    Thanks,
    Hai
    Hi Haiwu,

I found that to me one of the best ways to learn a foreign language at home is to watch movies in that language, and at the same time read the subtitles in my own language (DVD-s are great for that). That way, you can hear the correct pronunciation of words, and read the translation in case you don't understand them. That's for the oral part, as far as writing goes - you need to read, read, read...

njanja is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you use a monolingual dictionary? If you don`t, try Longman and Cambridge;these two dictionaries can help you speak correct English because there are lots of word combinations and example sentences.If you learn at least the most important word combinations you won`t make many mistakes.

Here are the links:

http://www.ldoceonline.com/

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/
    Last edited by njanja; 01-Aug-2006 at 02:39.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know your level of English, but to read the subtitles in English worked for me ( when I was an intermediate-advanced student). If you do not know the meaning of a word try to guess it from the context or have a pen and paper on hand and then look up the word in a dictionary.

Post Thanks / Like

warm greetings!

i've been studying english for a long time too and still i'm not content of my english, so i practice it everyday by responding the letters from my friends in english though, they are writing me in tagalog because we're filipinos. i analyze the sentences that i'm reading from the books, magazines and i use my electronic dictionary, if there's a new word or i'm not sure of the word i'm going to use then i write it down on my vocabulary notebook. this website is also very helpful in learning english and getting ideas to improve your english and by participating as well you'll meet people that are willing to help you. i'm always visiting this site. lastly, just enjoy what your doing so that you'll learn more and excell from it.

in short, practice and i apply it in your daily life, and enjoy of doing it.

regards,

franz