Post Thanks / Like

Question if it's not a party, what is it?

Do you have something like celebrating a coworker's birthday at the office? Like buying him a cake and other coworkers singing Happy Birthday song for him? Someone in my office says that it could not be called a party, because unlike a usual party, this one is a bit too simple and lack of chaos. How should I say to coworkers when I call them to gather? Could I just say "Today is so and so's party. And we'll celebrate his birthday at the office kitchen. Please come and join us!" Can I call it a birthday celebration, and say "we have a birthday celebration for him"?

Like always, criticism to any of the above expressions is welcome and appreciated!

Emily
    Last edited by emily wong; 08-Aug-2006 at 00:24.

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: if it's not a party, what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by emily wong View Post
    Do you have something like celebrating a coworker's birthday at the office? Like buying him a cake and other coworkers singing Happy Birthday song for him? Someone in my office says that it could not be called a party, because unlike a usual party, this one is a bit too simple and llack of chaos. How should I say to coworkers when I call them to gather? Could I just say "Today is so and so's party. And we'll celebrate his birthday at the office kitchen. Please come and join us!" Can I call it a birthday celebration, and say "we have a birthday celebration for him?"
    Like always, criticism to any of the above expressions is welcome and appreciated!
    Emily
    Hi, Emily.

Yes, celebration [ a short one ] is ok but not a party. You cannot have a party at the office because you are supposed to work there not to have parties . A birthday celebration sounds perfect at lunch break .

e.g. We are here to celebrate Peter`s birthday ,..

Regards,
    Last edited by Teia; 07-Aug-2006 at 19:08.

DavyBCN is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: if it's not a party, what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi, Emily.
    Yes, celebration [ a short one ] is ok but not a party. You cannot have a party at the office because you are supposed to work there not to have parties . A birthday celebration sounds perfect at lunch break .
    e.g. We are here to celebrate Peter`s birthday ,..
    Regards,
    I'm sure I used to get drunk and make a fool of myself at office Christmas parties - but only when I was young of course! I think celebrate/celebration are much better for birthdays and other such things.

One of my Spanish students loves the phrase "a bit of a do", which is a general everyday phrase which can cover all sorts of celebrations and parties.