• British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

English lessons in Japan spark backlash

English lessons in Japan spark backlash

Japan has taken a step closer to making English language a compulsory subject in primary schools, but the move has provoked a backlash from critics.

Read more: http://education.guardian.co.uk/tefl...756840,00.html

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: English lessons in Japan spark backlash

English education at primary school level in Japan is usually very poor quality. Most primary school level teachers are not able to speak English well (or at all). The vast majority of native speakers in the classrooms are not qulaified teachers, do not have a certificate to teach at a primary school, and are therefore usually used as an assistant. The assistants role could vary greatly between schools and BOEs, but it is not uncommon for them to just entertain the kids and repeat something when the Japanese teacher tells them to.

They would need more qualified and certified English speaking Japanese teachers to improve the situation, and since primary eduaction is very broad with teachers teaching a wide range of subjects, it seems unlikely that there would be enough to go around.

Creating a uniform syllabus is a good idea, though, and would certainly help.

• Post Thanks / Like

I am surprise to learn that news.Firstly ,I know little about the education in Janpan.Maybe there are much difference of education in different country.
    Rejoicingly,the education in our country progresses realistically,students learn the real things ,whatever is previous or present !!!!!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.Russell View Post
    English education at primary school level in Japan is usually very poor quality. Most primary school level teachers are not able to speak English well (or at all). The vast majority of native speakers in the classrooms are not qulaified teachers, do not have a certificate to teach at a primary school, and are therefore usually used as an assistant. The assistants role could vary greatly between schools and BOEs, but it is not uncommon for them to just entertain the kids and repeat something when the Japanese teacher tells them to.

They would need more qualified and certified English speaking Japanese teachers to improve the situation, and since primary eduaction is very broad with teachers teaching a wide range of subjects, it seems unlikely that there would be enough to go around.

Creating a uniform syllabus is a good idea, though, and would certainly help.
    I agree with most of what you said, A Russell except for the last part. The problem in Japan is that not even the top people in the education department, Mombusho, know how to teach a language. They have had a uniform syllabus in Japan since forever and Japanese still consistently rank at the bottom in tests of English and in using spoken English.

With the current system, the only thing that introducing English into elementary schools will do is make the kids start to hate English at a very early age. I'd hate to be a JHS Japanese teacher of English six or so years down the road.

The English education system in Japan is hemorrhaging and all Mombusho is doing is applying a band-aid or two. And to make matters worse, they are applying the band-aids to the wrong area.
    Last edited by riverkid; 19-Aug-2006 at 21:50.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Gee, guys...As I was reading your posts I could clearly picture the problem since it is absolutely identical to what happens here in Brazil...We do have quite a few very expensive but good, private schools where you can find more qualified people,but only the minority is able to afford that...if there were an international standard to be followed, maybe things could improve...the internet has certainly helped but again only a minority has access and guidance to get what it has to offer...so I donīt really believe that the government can do much about changing the standards offered in public schools..