Post Thanks / Like

another sentence i don't understand

a commander talking:
    "The only frontier has left, then the city is ours! Move out!"

what frontier are they talking about. is it like a gate in the city and there's only one remaining?
    so why should they move out (retreat)?

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: another sentence i don't understand

Hard to tell without more context. The 'frontier' is evidently the last defense, whatever or wherever or whoever it may be. 'Move out' = 'start moving'. The moving could be in either direction, but here I presume it to be toward the city.

DavyBCN is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by possopo View Post
    a commander talking:
    "The only frontier has left, then the city is ours! Move out!"
    what frontier are they talking about. is it like a gate in the city and there's only one remaining?
    so why should they move out (retreat)?
    Hi Possopo. I have to say that whatever you are reading has a lot of mistakes. Is it a translation? If you are using it to learn English then could I suggest trying something else? . I think I was correct in pointing out the spelling mistakes in your other threads, but this example only makes sense if you say "Only the frontier is left", which is a big change and may not be correct.

Post Thanks / Like

well, i know that a lot of what i'm reading is quite possibly bad english but i still need to understand what it says:)

Post Thanks / Like

well, i know that a lot of what i'm reading is quite possibly bad english but i still need to understand what it says:)

Hi, some of it is not just bad English, It`s awful and some of it doesn`t make any sense at all. It would be a better idea to read something else.

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, everybody
    Possopo is not reading a book ; he is playing a game !
    Possopo is playing some video war games and this explains the mistakes he makes or the mistakes made by those who wrote the text of the game or made it.
    Beyond all doubt the war game is wrongly written/contains too many mistakes from the very beginning up to its end.
    It is not worth playing it, Possopo. You are not learning anything good from it. On the contrary, you`ll be misinformed if you go on playing that awful game.

Don`t get upset with me, but you are not on the right way of improving English.

Regards,

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi, everybody
    Possopo is not reading a book ; he is playing a game !
    Possopo is playing some video war games and this explains the mistakes he makes or the mistakes made by those who wrote the text of the game or made it.
    Beyond all doubt the war game is wrongly written/contains too many mistakes from the very beginning up to its end.
    It is not worth playing it, Possopo. You are not learning anything good from it. On the contrary, you`ll be misinformed if you go on playing that awful game.
    Don`t get upset with me, but you are not on the right way of improving English.
    Regards,
    Once again I have to agree with Teia and Tom. There are a lot of people here who are very happy to help you to improve your English, but the examples you are using are so bad that it is difficult to give good answers. The English you are reading in this text is so bad that it will make your English poorer, because there are probably uses of English in the text which are incorrect (the grammar is definitely terrible) but perhaps you do not realise it.

Help us to help you by choosing a different text. Please

Post Thanks / Like

hehe, well, i'm not actually playing the game but translating it (in french). and it's a job i was asked to do. i have no idea if the original texts and the game were made by english natives but i definitely have to translate the whole thing anyway. most of the task is not over complicated and i know there are a few poorly written sentences but i still need to translate them (in good and accurate french).

my biggest problem lies in the fact that sometimes, i simply don't know if the text is wrong or if i'm missing something (the misspells examples are good examples of that problem). and again, even if it's wrong, i need to translate and understand what the person wanted to say.

sometimes, i'm also translating surfing videos. and i need to do the job even when non english natives are speaking. i can tell you sometimes it's really hard. both because my knowledge of english is far from being perfect and because the knowledge of the person talking is sometimes far worse than mine.

i'd love to work on perfect english (it would really be easier and a dictionary some help from this foum would do) but it's not always the case. jargon and spoken english is nice (military, jargon, australian -i worked on that too), it helps me improve my english (it's very important for me to be able to talk and understand anyone in any circumstance), misspells and poor english are tricky and boring business but i need to cope with that no matter how.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda
    Post Thanks / Like

hehe, well, i'm not actually playing the game but translating it (in french). and it's a job i was asked to do. i have no idea if the original texts and the game were made by english natives but i definitely have to translate the whole thing anyway. most of the task is not over complicated and i know there are a few poorly written sentences but i still need to translate them (in good and accurate french).
    my biggest problem lies in the fact that sometimes, i simply don't know if the text is wrong or if i'm missing something (the misspells examples are good examples of that problem). and again, even if it's wrong, i need to translate and understand what the person wanted to say.
    sometimes, i'm also translating surfing videos. and i need to do the job even when non english natives are speaking. i can tell you sometimes it's really hard. both because my knowledge of english is far from being perfect and because the knowledge of the person talking is sometimes far worse than mine.
    i'd love to work on perfect english (it would really be easier and a dictionary some help from this foum would do) but it's not always the case. jargon and spoken english is nice (military, jargon, australian -i worked on that too), it helps me improve my english (it's very important for me to be able to talk and understand anyone in any circumstance), misspells and poor english are tricky and boring business but i need to cope with that no matter how.
    You have my utmost sympathy! I sometimes have to help my business students with Insurance terminology, and it is a language alone also. There is a web site called something like Urban Dictionary which may help you with specific and modern terminology that I do not know. Surfing vocabulary in particular makes me feel 98 not 58. Still happy to help in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much:)

i know urbandictionary.com and this site (along with "ask a teacher") is helping me a lot. there are soooo many expressions and "twists" of the language in english, far more than in french, i can tell you.

and of course, when you basically only have continental french (belgian and swiss are very little different, créole is a language of its own, african variants are quite unknown, canadian is only considered exotic), english has many equally important variants.