pljames Guest

Question Words with value and meaning

I am beginning to recognise when I see a word, I also see its meaning, not meanings(Synonyms). But I look at them as words, without value. If one puts values to a word like love,hate,kill,save etc then they have created a word with value and the word has meaning with value. Can one put this idea of making ones point or points when writing? The words are underlined,quotes or colored or followed by avartars or smileys .

Just a thought
    pljames

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Words with value and meaning

One can, but excessive use of such effects can be negative in my opinion, and would in a longer text, because it would deprive the reader of their freedom of choice, as reading too is a creative act.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that every word has a value

Values inhance the meaning of the word

thank you

Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

hi,

Every word has obviously a meaning and more over a value. Every word represents a picture, and the picture may illustrate a whole univers. We all have to do is to dig as deeper as possible to every word and you will find marvels.

Have a nice day!
    God bye,
    Madox

pljames Guest

Thumbs up Re: Words with value and meaning

Claire,
    Excellent answer. My problem is outlining to make my point/points clear. Should I use color, quotes, underline or what to value a point word? I am a closet perfectionist with a idealist zeal living in a reality world. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Redfield View Post
    I believe that every word has a value

Values inhance the meaning of the word

thank you

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are chatting with friends, use whatever attention-getting devices (color, underscore etc.) you like. Imagine that you are having a personal conversation face-to-face. You may wave your arms, sing, or spin around in circles to emphasize a point.

But, if you are writing something a teacher is going to grade don't take chances.

Most English teachers (myself included) insist that all written work be straight black and white roman alphabet. Expression comes from diction (word choice) and clarity, not smiley-faces and colored ink. The way to learn to write clear English is the same method you used to learn everything else in your life:

practice, practice, practice...

I'll be glad to help you with that.

hemmin is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding ....
    for words with value and meaning:
    values and meanings go together.
    i mean all our expressions to the outer world is how we communicate with our self. The words add value to the meaning we like to express.

pljames Guest

I love my language English. I use Incredimail to e-mail all my friends and business aquaintances. For my friends I use colors, pictured stationary and smiley faces with a cursive font.. For my aquaintances I use plain stationary with cursive font.
    I still believe and maintain the bottom line in any language is to communicate your point as clear as you can! If I was writing the pope the stationary would be religious, to the president political. Why should I stifle my creativity for the sake of proper communicative writing?
    pljames

Post Thanks / Like

If I was writing to the Pope, I would use an ordinary letter with an ordinary letterhead. Why do I need special religious stationary?

If you feel you need extra pointers to help the reader understand what you are trying to say, then your writing, quite simply, isn't clear enough. Besides, excessive use of such techniques can make reading your text very hard going, as a variety of colours and other devices can actually distract from, rather than enhance, your message.

This is the mistake many amateurs make when designing websites, brochures, adverts, posters etc. They feel the need to highlight everything with a different colour, a different font or a little picture to draw people's attention to it. The result is an unsettling mess, because the reader's attention is being drawn to lots of different things all at once: dozens of fonts. colours and effects all screaming, "Look at me! I'm important!"

In business correspondance you should be neutral in tone, clear, concise and brief; that's because business people are very busy and have lots of letters to read -- they don't have time to marvel at anyone's creativity.

Personal correspondance is a different matter, but be aware that what you think is cute and creative may make somebody else just roll their eyes. If you feel the need to be creative with words and typographical symbols, do it on canvas and exhibit them.

And as for a teacher grading your work -- believe me, "creativity" with smileys and colours is the best way to annoy a teacher. Consider: That teacher is trying to grade you on your knowledge of a subject or proficiency in use of language. That teacher has 20 other papers to grade and only half a day to grade them all -- plus 20 papers from another class and another 25 from a third class. Imagine yourself in that situation -- believe me, you will want the essays all to be easy to read without having to decypher 75 different systems of colour-coding.