• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Iīm right, arenīt I?

thatīs another one that is never taught in textbooks...most tag question lessons forget to mention this arenīt I? bit to students ,donīt they?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply

No,I have not posted on the forum in the several weeks,it doesn't mean that I gonna any question in the english learning,but those slipped my mind for the moment. Mmm,don't make a fun of me,I've got a memory like a sieve.If it comes to me,I will post it at finding.I want to take the opportunity to thank the website,that give me so much help to grasp the language.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Iīm right, arenīt I?

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    thatīs another one that is never taught in textbooks...most tag question lessons forget to mention this arenīt I? bit to students ,donīt they?
    Hi Avalon,

You are right.

In writing, the correct (grammatical) usage is: "I am right, am I not?"

However, in conversational English the grammatically incorrect "aren't I" is used. (Probably because there is no contraction for "am not". I mean, you never hear people saying: I amn't).

matilda Guest

Talking Re: Iīm right, arenīt I?

am doesn't take negative form like not easily. you should use ARE instead of AM only whemn you want to make it into negative

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doris View Post
    Hi Avalon,
    You are right.
    In writing, the correct (grammatical) usage is: "I am right, am I not?"
    However, in conversational English the grammatically incorrect "aren't I" is used. (Probably because there is no contraction for "am not". I mean, you never hear people saying: I amn't).
    Actually, I do In the traditional dialect of my area of the Midlands of England (the 'Black Country'), it was quite common to transpose the forms of the verb 'to be'. Hence, you will still hear people say (not many, but a local radio DJ does it, probably for effect) things like: "Yow's a mardy'un, am'tcha?" - "You is (are) a mardy one (miserable person), am not you (are you not)?" Speakers of this dialect are known locally as 'Yowsers' because of this way of saying "You is a..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    Actually, I do In the traditional dialect of my area of the Midlands of England (the 'Black Country'), it was quite common to transpose the forms of the verb 'to be'. Hence, you will still hear people say (not many, but a local radio DJ does it, probably for effect) things like: "Yow's a mardy'un, am'tcha?" - "You is (are) a mardy one (miserable person), am not you (are you not)?" Speakers of this dialect are known locally as 'Yowsers' because of this way of saying "You is a..."
    I didn't know that, so thanks for the info!