Post Thanks / Like

Default I was dropping him off for the sex talk thing

Hi !

Could you help me to understand the following sentence : "I was dropping him off for the sex talk thing and he pointed her out."

The context : A woman has a parent teacher meeting with a female teacher of her son but she doesn't know about what. Her husband says this sentence to her.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I was dropping him off for the sex talk thing

I would actually have spent a few extra words on presenting the context. I got more confused by the explanation of the context than by the problem itself...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polaris View Post
    Hi !
    Could you help me to understand the following sentence : "I was dropping him off for the sex talk thing and he pointed her out."
    The context : A woman has a parent teacher meeting with a female teacher of her son but she doesn't know about what. Her husband says this sentence to her.
    The first sentence is spoken by the woman's husband. The 'him' and 'he' in that sentence refers to their son. The 'sex-talk thing' is (probably) a speaking event organized by the school to which their son was taken by car ('dropped off') by the woman's husband. The speaker's subject was a topic connected with sex - and probably controversial in the minds of conservatives like the woman's husband.

The 'female teacher' (referred to as 'her' in the first sentence) was pointed out by the son while his father was 'dropping him off'. This connected her in some way either with the organization of the event or a previous sexual incident involving the son and an anonymous woman.

The context places the first sentence in the present. At this time, the woman and her husband are arriving at the school for a meeting with 'the female teacher', in order to discuss their son. The husband recognises her as the woman his son had previously picked out. He passes this information on to his wife. They are now drawing conclusions based upon the teacher's presence in both of these situations. In order to determine what those conclusions were, we would require more context.

These are surmises, of course. A full context would be necessary in order to make more definite comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Coffa and Deen, thank you for your response. I explain you everything :

A woman has a conversation with her husband (their son isn't there). She's telling him that she has a parent/teacher meeting with Ms. Turbody, a teacher of their son, during the afternoon. But she doesn't know the reason of this meeting.

Then, the husband says "hun hun" with a strange face.

His wife draws the conclusion that he knows this teacher, that he has seen her and that he is lying when he says that he doesn't know who she is.

Then, the husband says (speaking about their son) : "I was dropping him off for the sex talk thing and he pointed her out."

Thanks to your response, Coffa, I understand that :
    1/the father drove his son to the school and dropped him off
    2/at a meeting involving the subject of sex
    3/that the son showed the female teacher to his father.

Is that right ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is what the husband is saying - but he might be lying...

Post Thanks / Like