Can I try? :)
- This means 'at this time of day'. Basically, this person is saying that this particular time of day is not when people normally drink.1. 'You can't drink at a time like this.'
- This means that the fire left us with nothing. We lost our house (physical property) and our home (the dwelling we have made ourselves over the years).2. 'We were burned out of house and home.'
- A long hole is when the distance between the start point (the 'tee') and the end point (the hole) is very long. This is usually a distance of 400-500 yards.3. About playing golf, what's a "long hole"?
- This is a new one on me. However, I do know that 'love' means 'zero points' in tennis, so maybe the person means that they lost a game without scoring any points?4. About playing tennis or other ball games, what does it mean by "I lost a love game"?
- I may be wrong, but I think 'hawking' means 'selling on the street, usually illegally'. I first heard this word when I began watching Hong Kong movies, as they always depict 'street hawkers' (usually selling fish balls ;) ).5. About sales or selling things, what does "hawk amulets (or charms) mean as in "I got conned by a manipulative salesman hawking amulets"?
Hope that helps you! :)