Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    Yep, get them (teabags) sent from home. ;)

    Recently had a shipment of Mars bars, too.
    I could send you some Mars bars from Japan, if you'd like.

    :D

  2. #12
    Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default A few problem sentences

    Wow~~thank you all for your kind replies from China, Japan and so on.
    Just to make sure about Sentence 5.
    So "I got conned by a manipulative salesman hawking amulets" simply means "I got conned by a salesman who sells amulets"??
    And...is Sainsbur's tea different from Tesco's tea or Safeway's tea? :P

  3. #13
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A few problem sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Wow~~thank you all for your kind replies from China, Japan and so on.
    Just to make sure about Sentence 5.
    So "I got conned by a manipulative salesman hawking amulets" simply means "I got conned by a salesman who sells amulets"??
    Yes, although I probably wouldn't put it that way. I'd probably say, "I got conned by a guy selling amulets."

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    And...is Sainsbur's tea different from Tesco's tea or Safeway's tea? :P
    Probably. (Shane would have a better idea of that than I.)

    Welcome to our friendly forum!


  4. #14
    shane is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    No tea in China?
    Plenty of it, but believe me, there's nothing more annoying than swallowing a mouthful of big petals or berries when all you want is the tea. :wink:

    Quote Originally Posted by casiopea
    I could send you some Mars bars from Japan, if you'd like.
    You can get Mars bars in Japan?? All I can get here are Snickers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    And...is Sainsbury's tea different from Tesco's tea or Safeway's tea?
    In my experience, not much different at all. :D

  5. #15
    Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [quote="shane"]
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    No tea in China?
    Plenty of it, but believe me, there's nothing more annoying than swallowing a mouthful of big petals or berries when all you want is the tea. :wink:

    Ah, isn't there any tea bags at all in China?
    Or you'd like to swim across the strait.
    We do have them in bags or powder over here. :D

    And, just one more problem sentence--
    In "This is Mr. X, who'll be serving as the new department head as of today",
    what's that "as of"?
    Does it mean Mr. X is serving only for toady or Mr. X starts to be serving from today?
    Thanks!!

  6. #16
    shane is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway

    Ah, aren't there any tea bags at all in China?
    There are, but they are bags of Liptons tea, and as everyone knows, Liptons is horrible. ;)


    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    In "This is Mr. X, who'll be serving as the new department head as of today",
    what's that "as of"?
    Does it mean Mr. X is serving only for toady or Mr. X starts to be serving from today?
    Thanks!!
    'As of today' = 'From today onwards'.

    :)

  7. #17
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Liptons tea- arrrrrrgh. It's ghastly.

  8. #18
    wenxian Guest

    Default

    shane
    Good good study ,day day up!
    I like it!

  9. #19
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like it too- we'll have to adopt it in English.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Sentences with "some"
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2004, 10:09
  2. apostrophe
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2004, 05:59
  3. seem
    By cherish in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2004, 09:26
  4. few sentences....
    By abrilsp in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-Dec-2003, 12:31
  5. What are loose sentences? Periodic sentences?
    By RonBee in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2003, 00:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •