• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default transfer

Dear teachers,

I was consulting the word 'transfer' in my dictionary ( Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English) when I came across the following definition:

(C) especially AmE a ticket that allows a passenger to change from one bus, train etc to another without paying more money. I feel somewhat confused and my questions are:

No.1

Does this mean that there isn't such service in Britain?

No.2

Or does it mean there is such service in Britain but British people use another word for it instead of using the word 'transfer'?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: transfer

Hello Jiang

Suppose you have to travel between points A and Z in the UK.

If you travel by bus, you will usually have to buy a ticket for each stage of your journey. Thus if bus No. 1 takes you from A to M, and bus No. 2 takes you from M to Z, you will have to buy a separate ticket on each bus.

Some bus companies offer "transfer tickets", for journeys that involve a change from bus No. 1 to bus No. 2. However, this would usually only be the case if the same company ran both services.

If you travel by train, on the other hand, you do not usually have to buy a ticket for each stage of your journey. You buy a ticket from A to Z, and any reasonable route may be taken. You may change trains as often as is necessary, without further charge.

(Some tickets do exclude certain indirect routes. In the south of England, for instance, it is often quicker to travel from A to London to B, rather than directly from A to B. In such cases, your ticket may state "Not via London"; a ticket that includes a change in London will be available, but more expensive.)

Have a good weekend,

MrP

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear MrPedantic,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Have a good weekend,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    Hello Jiang

Suppose you have to travel between points A and Z in the UK.

If you travel by bus, you will usually have to buy a ticket for each stage of your journey. Thus if bus No. 1 takes you from A to M, and bus No. 2 takes you from M to Z, you will have to buy a separate ticket on each bus.

Some bus companies offer "transfer tickets", for journeys that involve a change from bus No. 1 to bus No. 2. However, this would usually only be the case if the same company ran both services.

If you travel by train, on the other hand, you do not usually have to buy a ticket for each stage of your journey. You buy a ticket from A to Z, and any reasonable route may be taken. You may change trains as often as is necessary, without further charge.

(Some tickets do exclude certain indirect routes. In the south of England, for instance, it is often quicker to travel from A to London to B, rather than directly from A to B. In such cases, your ticket may state "Not via London"; a ticket that includes a change in London will be available, but more expensive.)

Have a good weekend,

MrP

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In the US, transfers are available on most city buses used for local transportation.

In my area, for example, it's often necessary to change buses along a route to get to a certain location. I board the Number 1 bus and pay my fare. However, Number 1 goes straight down Woodward Avenue (north and south), and I need to eventually head west on Main Street to get to my destination. So when I pay my fare on Number 1, I ask the driver for a "transfer." He gives me a ticket, or small receipt, which I later give to the driver of the Number 2 bus that will take me west.

I paid full fare on Number 1, but only rode it for one mile before changing to Number 2. It wouldn't be fair for them to charge me again, so the transfer is issued as proof that I've already paid a full fare. This system also eliminates the need of establishing an entire pricing schedule, requiring that the driver collect 75 cents from you if you're traveling one mile, $1.50 if you're traveling five miles, etc.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Quisch,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see how it works in Britain through the explanation of MrPedantic and how it works in USA through your explanation. This is so good.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In the US, transfers are available on most city buses used for local transportation.

In my area, for example, it's often necessary to change buses along a route to get to a certain location. I board the Number 1 bus and pay my fare. However, Number 1 goes straight down Woodward Avenue (north and south), and I need to eventually head west on Main Street to get to my destination. So when I pay my fare on Number 1, I ask the driver for a "transfer." He gives me a ticket, or small receipt, which I later give to the driver of the Number 2 bus that will take me west.

I paid full fare on Number 1, but only rode it for one mile before changing to Number 2. It wouldn't be fair for them to charge me again, so the transfer is issued as proof that I've already paid a full fare. This system also eliminates the need of establishing an entire pricing schedule, requiring that the driver collect 75 cents from you if you're traveling one mile, $1.50 if you're traveling five miles, etc.