Thread: Personal info.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Personal info.

Hello again, Red5,
    1. How can I make sure nobody sees my birth date ? I hate publicity; besides many people after, say, forty take their birthdays as another step to the grave and do not enjoy being reminded abt it. I rather see the glass half full than half empty, yet to me birthday is just a chance to gather my friends and family. If I had known it was possible, Id have avoided giving this info while registering.
    2. I wonder why it usually takes so long abt a full minute to open your site pages. Id blame it on my laptop or some local conditions if other forums opened so slowly,too; but they dont.
    Looking forward to your answer.
    Tnx.

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Personal info.

How can I make sure nobody sees my birth date ? I hate publicity; besides many people after, say, forty take their birthdays as another step to the grave and do not enjoy being reminded abt it. I rather see the glass half full than half empty, yet to me birthday is just a chance to gather my friends and family. If I had known it was possible, I’d have avoided giving this info while registering.
    Unfortunately there is no method I can see of allowing individual users to opt out of having their birthday shown.

I have switched the Today's Birthdays section off as an experiment. I will discuss with the other staff here and will put a poll up in the members' forum to see what the majority of people here think about this. Majority wins.

I wonder why it usually takes so long –abt a full minute –to open your site pages. I’d blame it on my laptop or some local conditions if other forums opened so slowly,too; but they don’t.
    This is odd, and I'm very sorry that you are having this problem! The site should run reasonably fast worldwide now as we've made many improvements in our hardware and configuration recently. I can only suggest that there is some external factor which is slowing things down for you.

Things that could slow things down are:
    • a bad connection to the UK from your location
    • some of the adverts on site could be slow-loading (check the status bar of your browser to see what is taking so long to load)
    Questions:
    • Is the site slow all the time, or is it only sometimes?
    • Is it just the forum that's slow, or is it any page on site?
    Please let me know if you can find out any more information about what's causing this.

Last edited by Red5; 20-Aug-2006 at 00:53. Reason: Typo

Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PUBLIC YOUR DATE OF BIRTH THAN YOU COULD LIE ABOUT IT!have a nice day!

Post Thanks / Like

Morning, Red5,
    After some investigation it seems, I exaggerated the problem a bit, merely for a psychological reason the watched milk never boils.
    Ive registered the connections duration:
    a) Sunday, about 3 p.m., starting from opening the site and then mostly reading the threads
    (approximately, in seconds)
    18, 28, 10, 20, 5, 10, 17, 14, 13, 24, 3, 15, 14, 18, 3, 7, 5, 11, 18.
    Then I wandered to some Delphi forum and things moved much faster, 3-5 secs.
    b) Monday, 6.30 a.m.
    the forum
    3, 3, 23, 10, 2, 5, 11, 24, 5, 5, 6, 7, 11, 11, 12, 16, 18, 19, 20, 20, 20, 17, 17, 17, 19, 4, 15, 23, 19
    around the site
    7, 12, 8, 5, 5, 6, 4

As I see, the longest was just 24 secs , but it feels like ages.
    Regards