Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default why the sun "don't" shine?

Hi there. I always come across expressions such as "The sun don't shine" or "She don't know"..etc.. So, I think it must be of a special meaning to emphasise something, something not possible... Am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Another question: What's the proper word for a doll which never falls (with some cray or metal at the bottom of the doll so its lower part is heavier) and; a part of your body is so badly frozen that it must be amputated. What's the proper word for "badly frozen" in this situation?

Cheers.

matilda Guest

Talking Re: why the sun "don't" shine?

are you sure about the first question?
    i've never heard //she don't know...//

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: why the sun "don't" shine?

Yes. Mostly in lyrics, e.g. "...don't say that the sun don't shine..." in the song Street of London", just to pick up one example.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

In songs or some poems, the choice of words has to do with the sound of the word, particularly in a melody. "The sun don't shine" sounds smoother than "the sun doesn't shine." Maybe that why it was used.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite often, writers will write songs, poems, dialogs and narratives in dialect. It is a common feature of many (non-standard) dialects of English to use the third person plural verb form for all present-tense verbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there. Thanks for your replies. So... have you got any idea on my second question:

What's the proper word for a doll which never falls (with some clay or metal at the bottom of the doll so its lower part (in oval shape) is heavier) and; the part of your body is so badly frozen that it must be amputated. What's the proper word for "badly frozen" in this situation?

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure of the first one (although I do know what you're talking about), but the second one is hypothermia. It is possible to recover from hypothermia, though, if you treat it quickly enough.

It's a common feature of many (non-standard) dialects of English . . .
    I'm non-standard. :) When I speak quickly, anyway.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When a part of your body is so frozen that it no longer has adequate blood flow, it is commonly called frostbite.

I don't believe that there is a common English word for the type of weighted doll that you asked about.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, my bad. :P I sometimes (incorrectly) use the terms to mean the same thing, as neither are things I think about much.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there. Indeed, this forum does offer pretty much help for those who want to learn proper and native English. Thanks a lot, all of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast