Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Post Thanks / Like

why the sun "don't" shine?

Hi there. I always come across expressions such as "The sun don't shine" or "She don't know"..etc.. So, I think it must be of a special meaning to emphasise something, something not possible... Am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Another question: What's the proper word for a doll which never falls (with some cray or metal at the bottom of the doll so its lower part is heavier) and; a part of your body is so badly frozen that it must be amputated. What's the proper word for "badly frozen" in this situation?

Cheers.

1. matilda

Talking Re: why the sun "don't" shine?

are you sure about the first question?
    i've never heard //she don't know...//

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: why the sun "don't" shine?

Yes. Mostly in lyrics, e.g. "...don't say that the sun don't shine..." in the song Street of London", just to pick up one example.

Cheers.

• Post Thanks / Like

In songs or some poems, the choice of words has to do with the sound of the word, particularly in a melody. "The sun don't shine" sounds smoother than "the sun doesn't shine." Maybe that why it was used.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quite often, writers will write songs, poems, dialogs and narratives in dialect. It is a common feature of many (non-standard) dialects of English to use the third person plural verb form for all present-tense verbs.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi there. Thanks for your replies. So... have you got any idea on my second question:

What's the proper word for a doll which never falls (with some clay or metal at the bottom of the doll so its lower part (in oval shape) is heavier) and; the part of your body is so badly frozen that it must be amputated. What's the proper word for "badly frozen" in this situation?

Cheers.

• Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure of the first one (although I do know what you're talking about), but the second one is hypothermia. It is possible to recover from hypothermia, though, if you treat it quickly enough.

It's a common feature of many (non-standard) dialects of English . . .
    I'm non-standard. :) When I speak quickly, anyway.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

When a part of your body is so frozen that it no longer has adequate blood flow, it is commonly called frostbite.

I don't believe that there is a common English word for the type of weighted doll that you asked about.

• Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, my bad. :P I sometimes (incorrectly) use the terms to mean the same thing, as neither are things I think about much.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi there. Indeed, this forum does offer pretty much help for those who want to learn proper and native English. Thanks a lot, all of you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast