Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: back and fill

  1. bingbing
    Guest
    #1

    back and fill

    Is this a set phrase?
    I used my Powerword(a software product)when I read some Chinese reports. And I came across this idiom in Chinese"出尔反尔",which might be interpreted as denying sth that has been said before. My Powerword gives me the equavalent of this Chinese idiom as "back and fill".
    What is "back and fill" in English anyway?
    Do you happen to know what is the English for that Chinese idiom?
    Thank you for your replies!!

  2. bingbing
    Guest
    #2

    Re: back and fill

    Quote Originally Posted by bingbing
    Is this a set phrase?
    I used my Powerword(a software product)when I read some Chinese reports. And I came across this idiom in Chinese"出尔反尔",which might be interpreted as denying sth that has been said before. My Powerword gives me the equavalent of this Chinese idiom as "back and fill".
    What is "back and fill" in English anyway?
    Do you happen to know what is the English for that Chinese idiom?
    Thank you for your replies!!
    I saw this phrase 'renege on a pledge".Is it appropriate here?

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: back and fill

    Quote Originally Posted by bingbing
    Quote Originally Posted by bingbing
    Is this a set phrase?
    I used my Powerword(a software product)when I read some Chinese reports. And I came across this idiom in Chinese"X尔尔",which might be interpreted as denying sth that has been said before. My Powerword gives me the equavalent of this Chinese idiom as "back and fill".
    What is "back and fill" in English anyway?
    Do you happen to know what is the English for that Chinese idiom?
    Thank you for your replies!!
    I saw this phrase 'renege on a pledge". Is it appropriate here?
    X尔尔 means, renege on a promise.

    Powerword has it half right. 'back and fill' should be 'go back on (a promise, your word)'.

    :D


    • Join Date: Apr 2003
    • Posts: 519
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Would that be the same as going back on one's word?? :wink:

    [edit] Cas got to this a split second before I posted. I wasn't just reiterating her words![/edit]

  4. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    Would that be the same as going back on one's word?? :wink:
    Back from one's pub already?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Impressively accurate typing if that is the case.


    • Join Date: Apr 2003
    • Posts: 519
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Yes, I was back from the pub so soon...

    It was okay, but a slight disappointment - there was no countdown, and no one wished anyone else a happy new year. How strange. :?

    Oh, and I didn't drink a lot, hence the accurate typing. Couldn't drink too much, not at those prices....

  5. bingbing
    Guest
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    Yes, I was back from the pub so soon...

    It was okay, but a slight disappointment - there was no countdown, and no one wished anyone else a happy new year. How strange. :?

    Oh, and I didn't drink a lot, hence the accurate typing. Couldn't drink too much, not at those prices....
    In China, a big countdown often occurs on the Lunar New Year Eve. That night ,the Spring Festival Gala on CCTV draws millions of people to plant in front of their TV set and witness together a new year in. Maybe that's why you've not seen any countdown.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •