Post Thanks / Like

Frustrated: How do I get Teaching Experience?

I live in the Los Angeles area and would like to remain here and teach ESL to international students. However, all of the local language schools request at least 6 months experience. I am in a catch-22 because they will not hire me without experience but I can't figure out how to get actual ESL teaching experience unless I am willing to go abroad for several months (which I certainly cannot afford to do right now).

I'm beginning to wonder if I should add a section to my resume stating that I taught English to Mexican children in Tijuana through a church group. I don't want to lie on my resume but I'm beginning to believe it's the only way I can teach a subject I am so passionate about.

I'm frustrated

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Frustrated: How do I get Teaching Experience?

Have you got any experience at all, such as any private or individual teaching?

JCrawf is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're interested in working as a volunteer, check with Literacy Volunteers of America (LVA) in your area. LVA has an active ESOL program in just about every major city in the country. You can choose to teach one-on-one or in a class setting (I've found the class setting much easier). You set your own schedule, so the amount of teaching experience you get is up to you. I should think that if you taught 3 or 4 evenings per week @ 2 hours per class, prospective employers would be impressed that you want to teach so much that you would do it for nothing. Good luck.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

JCrawf's suggestion is an excellent one. Another option you might investigate is checking out the local Adult Education programs that various high schools run at night. (The public library can probably help you get started in finding out which schools offer what night classes.) I had zero teaching experience at the time, but I happened to inquire about a position teaching calligraphy through a local Adult Ed program (I found their brochure at the library), and ended up doing it for eight years!

Just remember that any time you stretch the truth on a resume, it will usually come back to haunt you. Good luck!