Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmm... any difference here? (P. Simple VS P.C.)

1. What's the difference in meaning (if any) between:

a) The Johnsons are having lunch at 12 and they don't like to be disturbed.
    b) The Johnsons have lunch at 12 and they don't like to be disturbed.

Or maybe one of these sentences is wrong? The thing is that, as far as I know, we use present simple for habitual activities...

2. Again, any difference here? Anything wrong?

a) These days we often visit our grandma.
    b) These days we are often visiting our grandma.

We use PC in temporary situations, don't we? (like: He is living in Chicago now. Or Bill is getting up early this week) and for my liking "these days" somehow implies this temporary situation... or not?

BUT! we use P. Simple with words like "often" or "sometimes"

So - which one is correct?

Thanks!

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hmm... any difference here? (P. Simple VS P.C.)

1-- Both OK. A is today or in the near future; B is timeless habit.

2-- Both OK. B is uncommon and would probably refer to frequent trips actively taken to grandma's house; it exudes a busyness that A (the habit) does not.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Micawber.

Could you elaborate on point 2b? I'm not sure I get your explanation correctly...

Anyway, two more questions:

1/ We use present continuous when we want to express annoyance or impatience when someone does something. For instance: "She is always loosing her car keys."

My questions is: What about sentences like: "She always knows the answers to my questions."? We can't use pc here since there's "known" which doesn't have a pc form. Then how do we express our irritation? By modulating the voice? Or maybe there's some other way to show our annoyance over the fact that "she always knows the answers"?

2/ Why is there "the answers" instead of simply "answers"?
    3/ Do we say "How do you feel?/I feel fine" or "How are you feeling?/I'm feeling fine"? Or both? Any difference?

As far as I know feel + gerund has a different meaning... like "She's feeling the cloth" meaning that she's touching it...

4/ A situation in (or at) a disco... If I want to say that someone is dancing well... Will I say "You're dancing well" or "You dance well"? Any difference?

5/ Would you guys rather say:

a) "We use present continuous when we want to express annoyance or impatience when someone DOES something"
    or
    b) "We use present continuous when we want to express annoyance or impatience when someone IS DOING something"

tell me why... and if there's any difference.

5/ Do we say "We use present simple when..." or "We are using present simple when..." ?

Thanks! Best wishes!
    Last edited by forum_mail; 23-Aug-2006 at 17:33.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The present simple is common for habitual actions, annoying or not. The present continuous expresses an action that is happening now.

Mom [always] cooks dinner. Mom cooks every dinner.
    Mom is cooking dinner. She is cooking now, but we don't know about other times.
    Mom is always cooking dinner. This is an exaggeration. Sometimes Mom is sleeping, working, etc.

She is always losing her keys would be more accurate if you said, She always loses her keys.

2. This is idiomatic. The answers means the correct answers. Answers means any answers, right or wrong.

3. Feel can function as a linking (state-of-being) verb. I feel good
    or as an action verb meaning to use your sense of touch. I feel a coin in my pocket.

4. You dance well means that you are a talented dancer. You're dancing well means that you are dancing well right now, but we don't know how well you dance at other times.

5. We use... means this is the rule. We are using... describes a particular situation that is happening now.

We use gasoline in my car. My car only runs on gasoline.
    We are using gasoline in my car. At other times, we may use something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...

But we do use present continous when we want to express our irritation, don't we? I'm 100% sure that we do...

Anyway...

1. Any difference here? Anything wrong?

a) These days we often visit our grandma.
    b) These days we are often visiting our grandma.

We use PC in temporary situations, don't we? (like: He is living in Chicago now. Or Bill is getting up early this week) and for my liking "these days" somehow implies this temporary situation... or not?

I'm asking about this one again because I didn't get Mister Micawber's explanation...

2. Would you guys rather say:

a) "We use present continuous when we want to express annoyance or impatience when someone DOES something"
    or
    b) "We use present continuous when we want to express annoyance or impatience when someone IS DOING something"

3. Can I say:

a) The Chinese goverment wants to introduce new rules concerning smoking in public. This may lead to a (complete) clampdown on smoking in public.

b) The audience grew restless as the beginning of the concert was delaying.

c) A restless night is the one when you're tossing and turning (in a bed all night long) OR "... is the one when you toss and turn (in bed all night long)

d) do we say "he is an author of..." or "he is author of..." or "he is the author of..." ?

e) why do we say "in bad" instead of "in a bed" ?

f) the last one - "why are we saying in bed instead of in a bed" or "why do we say in bed instead of in a bed" ?

thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

anyone? I need your help folks ;)

thanks!

Philly is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forum_mail View Post
    1. Any difference here? Anything wrong?
    a) These days we often visit our grandma. Sounds like an established routine.
    b) These days we are often visiting our grandma. Possibly a temporary routine.
    We use PC in temporary situations, don't we? (like: He is living in Chicago now. Or Bill is getting up early this week) and for my liking "these days" somehow implies this temporary situation... or not? "These days" is similar to "nowadays" to me. It doesn't imply temporary.
    I'm asking about this one again because I didn't get Mister Micawber's explanation...
    2. Would you guys rather say:
    a) "We use present continuous when we want to express annoyance or impatience when someone DOES something" You can use present continuous this way to express impatience / annoyance / frustration / consternation about something that someone constantly does and is constantly annoying, etc. The word "always" is typically also used in this sort of sentence. BUT using the simple present would not be wrong!
    or
    3. Can I say:
    a) The Chinese goverment wants to introduce new rules concerning smoking in public. This may lead to a (complete) clampdown on smoking in public.
    b) The audience grew restless aswhen the beginning of the concert was delaying. delayed
    c) A restless night is the one when you're tossing and turning (in a bed all night long) OR "... is the one when you toss and turn (in bed all night long) Both are OK; omit the word the; Say "in bed".
    d) do we say "he is an author of..." or "he is author of..." or "he is the author of..." ? Depends on the rest of the sentence or context.
    e) why do we say "in bad" instead of "in a bed" ? "In a bed" sounds like you've landed in any old bed anywhere --- no preference whatsoever as to which, where, whose, etc.
    f) the last one - "why are we saying in bed instead of in a bed" or "why do we say in bed instead of in a bed" ? Why do we say...?