Post Thanks / Like

Default starting private tuition - advice

Hi all,

Have just become a member of your site and would like some advice!

I began my career (many years ago) as an Infant School teacher and have recently been working as a support assistant in the Basic Skills Dept. of a local college in Hampshire.
    I'm thinking of doing the Itesol online TESOL course with a view to doing some private teaching next year. Does anyone have any experience of this course? (It seems to be the only one accredited by the College of Teachers.)

Also, is anyone teaching Polish students on a private basis? I would love to ask your advice about what to charge and how to go about getting students (local college courses are free but the demand is far outstripping the no. of places).
    Thanks ..... great site by the way!!

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: starting private tuition - advice

There's a lot of debate about the quality of courses available online, but the CoT is one of the more reputable accrediattion boides, so the course should be of a reasonable standard.

With charging people, try to work out the maximum they can afford and ask for that.

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Polish family. I'm having two classes a week with parents and a class with their son. As I don't speak Polish and they don't speak my native language I'm trying to teach them witha help of pictures and life situations. I'm using the methods of miming. ( I show them what I say in movements). They already know enough to speak to me. I must say besides Polish they spreak German. So it's the second foreign language they study. Maybe that's why it's not so difficult for me to teach them. I don't speak German either. I speak only English to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sally,

The only thing i would say is that it can be quite hard to find students. I advertised on Gum treee in order to avoid agency charges, but only ended up with a couple of students who were really serious. Does anyone know any other good ways of finding students? I'd like to find a good jobs board, if at all possible.

Thank you in advance.

Good luck with the TESOL!

Regards,

Francesca

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Francesca!

I was hoping to find students by going to my local Polish hairdressers, a local cafe that's owned by some Polish people and by approaching hotels that employ foreign staff. I was hoping to advertise at the university as well, as I've been told that wives of lecturers that have come from abroad are sometimes looking for help with their English and often prefer private lessons. What do you think?

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is a reasonably large Polish population where you live then there is probably a social club or network place for them. Try advertising there.

tim2335 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sally T View Post
    Hi all,

Have just become a member of your site and would like some advice!

I began my career (many years ago) as an Infant School teacher and have recently been working as a support assistant in the Basic Skills Dept. of a local college in Hampshire.
    I'm thinking of doing the Itesol online TESOL course with a view to doing some private teaching next year. Does anyone have any experience of this course? (It seems to be the only one accredited by the College of Teachers.)

Also, is anyone teaching Polish students on a private basis? I would love to ask your advice about what to charge and how to go about getting students (local college courses are free but the demand is far outstripping the no. of places).
    Thanks ..... great site by the way!!
    Sally- I found when advertising in the UK that the good old newsagent shop window was very effective- it is cheap and you can select the area where it is most likely to be of use- i.e. an area where most of the foreign population lives. You must make the 'Ad' colourful and ensure that it stands out though- and try and 'negotiate' a good position on the board by offering to run it for several weeks! Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Try This Guide for Private Tuition

Tutors,Tuition,Tutoring Guides and Advice

Mr Tuition is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

try advertising free on local tutor, gumtree, and all the classifieds you can find, there is also these tutors guides:
    tutors guide (local tutor)
    tutors guide (prospects)
    tutors guide (bbc)
    And plenty of others, just have a search on you fav. search engine
    Last edited by Mr Tuition; 08-Dec-2007 at 17:16.