Thread: capital letters

1. cat80

capital letters

Are the capital letters in this phrase in the correct place? - "...your local Social Services' under eights department..." or should 'Social Services' be written in lower case letters and maybe the 'under eights department' in capitals?
    I would be most grateful for a reply
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: capital letters

Quote Originally Posted by cat80 View Post
    Are the capital letters in this phrase in the correct place? - "...your local Social Services' under eights department..." or should 'Social Services' be written in lower case letters and maybe the 'under eights department' in capitals?
    I would be most grateful for a reply
    Thanks!

As it is a special department of Social Services it would be quite normal to see it written as Social Services Under Eights Department.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

• Post Thanks / Like

could this phrase also be written in lower case letters or is the only answer in capitals? I've asked a few people and they told me that as it's not "the Social Services" but "..your local..." doesn't this mean that "Social Services" in this context is a common noun as there is one in every area and so it can also be all in lower case letters? Hope this makes sense :)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cat80 View Post
    could this phrase also be written in lower case letters or is the only answer in capitals? I've asked a few people and they told me that as it's not "the Social Services" but "..your local..." doesn't this mean that "Social Services" in this context is a common noun as there is one in every area and so it can also be all in lower case letters? Hope this makes sense :)
    Just about. . Certainly it could be in lower case on the basis of the context you state, but I would tend to use upper case because it is an organisation, regardless of whether it is unique or one of many. Using social services in lower case to me would be to describe the general provision of services, in the same way as education services, health services,etc, which could be done through various agencies.
    Last edited by DavyBCN; 27-Aug-2006 at 09:43. Reason: early morning typing mistakes!

• Post Thanks / Like

that is a good point, thanks DavyBCN! I will take your advice and use capitals