• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Teachers in Spain

If any teacher could answer this, I would be very pleased.
    All the language centres in Spain advertising for ESL teachers insist that they have between one and two years experience. In this scenario, how can a new ESL teacher acquire any experience and what could be regarded as acceptable experience?
    Thanks
    Jag

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teachers in Spain

while i'm studying english in england, there were alot of new teachers give free lessons in the centre where i was studying to gain expereince,

i think after a period of time they take experience certificate from the centre for the period they taught there,

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Meshaal!
    That's what I was thinking of. Private classes and voluntary work.
    I would like to add I did acquire about eighteen months experience in a private boys school in the mid-nineties but, because of the poor working environment I don't like to take it into account. The school won't even give me a reference!
    I'd still like to hear more opinions regarding experience and qualifications required to work in language centres in Spain.
    Thanks again, Meshaal
    Jag

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Well said, Meshaal!
    That's what I was thinking of. Private classes and voluntary work.
    I would like to add I did acquire about eighteen months experience in a private boys school in the mid-nineties but, because of the poor working environment I don't like to take it into account. The school won't even give me a reference!
    I'd still like to hear more opinions regarding experience and qualifications required to work in language centres in Spain.
    Thanks again, Meshaal
    Jag
    Hi Jag
    I started teaching English here in Barcelona after completing the TEFL course - also in Barcelona. My case is a little bit different as I teach in companies and my 30 or so years of working in industry gave me a great advantage. I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a reference from your previous teaching. Include it in your CV because it will definitely help.

It is difficult to generalise about the whole of Spain because English language teaching takes many different forms and local attitudes to learning the language can vary a lot, and this affects both opportunities and pay. I just hope you don't expect to get rich teaching English here!

The most important fact is that if you are not here you will find it virtually impossible to get work. The competition, especially from younger teachers who are not intending to settle here for long is intense, and they often accept very low hourly rates, especially for private classes, which makes life very difficult. Any school or other organisation will normally only give you 3-5 hours a week to begin with, which you have to accept as it is the only way into the job market. Many teachers accept classes from a range of English language providers, and build up to full-time hours in this way.

Sounds difficult? Well, it can be. Rather than add more here please feel free to send me a private message if you want to know more. Happy to help.

And, to be positive, teaching English here is fab!!!!! And we Welsh are so good at it.