Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: get or be?

Philly is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: get or be?

Hi MM

Have you also already seen back-burner as a verb? IBMers love to turn nouns into verbs and vice versa. A few of the terms in that IBM glossary may be relatively IBM-specific. But the definition for escalate definitely matches the usage in other companies as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi Jaguar

I agree 100% with you and Riverkid about removing will from the sentence.

My disagreement was only with Riverkid's comment about 'escalate the problem'. Saying "escalate a problem" does have a certain logic to it. The problem is in fact "intensified" or "made more serious" (escalated) in the sense that it is sent up the corporate ladder to a more important person (e.g., the boss) if a solution can't be found using the standard process. The higher the problem has to go before being resolved, the more serious it becomes.
    Ah, but the sentence IS grammatical AND common with 'will'. For example:

"You must escalate the problem immediately to second-level if you know it will not be/get resolved within one hour." In fact, it's perfectly common usage - I've heard EXACTLY that phrase in many help-desk environments.

Philly is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Coffa
    Good point.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello guys,

I just had my rest days and thats the reason why I have not answered immediately to your posts. By the way, thanks to all of you.

As for the 'escalate the issue', this means to bring the issue to a higher level of support. I am a technical support of Gateway computers and as a technical support agent, I usually use this if I cannot handle anymore the issue and I will need to have someone above me to handle it.

Again, thanks a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2