• Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: THE Importance of English Nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Bicbic View Post
    Yes it seems that English has earned its place not only in its native origins but along with the movement of globalization... A lot of implications, if one knows how to communicate in English, there is a greater chance to survive in this world. And English draws the line from the schooled and out of school. Most of our learning materials are in English and most of the media (music, movies, major news network, etc.) are in this medium... That's reality, right?

Last week, I had the chance to be an audience for this conference in Chicago and it seems that we seem to have a thin line distinguishing which English is really the one we are using... (American, British...etc) It seems pretty passive of us but it is still notable that there are sociological implications that we sometimes take for granted. So there is more meaning if we also go beyond the grammar exercises and also give our selves the "deeper" stuff..
    Today half a billion people speak English as their mother tongue. Correct me if I'm mistaken. I just think so. Also everywhere in the world English is the most spoken language.

Morpheus is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Now I am thinking how to organise it. There is one way, i.e the traditional examinations. Any ideas on this matter?
    Are you free to examine them in any way you like?

Well, then... I think the form of the exam should reflect the aims that you set when you began teaching them, i.e. if you wanted to teach them to discuss a certain number of subjects spontaneously then you can make the exam in the form of a discussion or dialogues. If you mainly developed their ability to make monologues, then it would be logical to give them a text and ask them to give an outline of it and discuss it.

I wonder what you have decided on ;)

Morpheus is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I hate about high school examinations are topics which they copy from the internet, learn by heart and reproduce like parrots

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,

I was interesting while reading these replays and different opinions . I mean their opinions in English language . No doubt that it`s very very important to learn it nowadays which is the main language of all sciences and different field . You can use this language and available all over the world not only in the native English countries . Moreover , It`s so sweet to use it .
    So , please accept me with ya in this forum . loooooooooooool
    My best regard

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kopite32 View Post
    Hi ,

I was interesting while reading these replays and different opinions . I mean their opinions in English language . No doubt that it`s very very important to learn it nowadays which is the main language of all sciences and different field . You can use this language and available all over the world not only in the native English countries . Moreover , It`s so sweet to use it .
    So , please accept me with ya in this forum . loooooooooooool
    My best regard
    You are very very welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    One thing that I hate about high school examinations are topics which they copy from the internet, learn by heart and reproduce like parrots
    I hate topics learnt by heart too. Here we have the same approach. That's why they are working on projects which they can present at the exam.

Seagull is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite agree with you, Harry Smith. I think it's unfair to say that no student in Portugal likes to learn English. The problem is that, in my opinion, you either like it and are "language talented" or you're not. Then, if you meet a teacher who thinks you don't do better because you don't study or aren't eager to learn, you just get frustrated. Well, Im just a teacher who tries to understand those students who are not good at English, no matter how hard they try. I'm sure many of them do their best, but they simply don't "have a bent towards English". I must say I've had many bad students at English, who tried their best but didn't succeed. Was it their fault or mine? I don't know. But some of them still visit me today, and we are good friends. Do you believe too, that you need to "have a bent towards languages"? I think so!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manuela Rocha View Post
    I quite agree with you, Harry Smith. I think it's unfair to say that no student in Portugal likes to learn English. The problem is that, in my opinion, you either like it and are "language talented" or you're not. Then, if you meet a teacher who thinks you don't do better because you don't study or aren't eager to learn, you just get frustrated. Well, Im just a teacher who tries to understand those students who are not good at English, no matter how hard they try. I'm sure many of them do their best, but they simply don't "have a bent towards English". I must say I've had many bad students at English, who tried their best but didn't succeed. Was it their fault or mine? I don't know. But some of them still visit me today, and we are good friends. Do you believe too, that you need to "have a bent towards languages"? I think so!
    Yes, sure. For many of my students it's very easy to learn English. They even don't work hard but they succeed in it. They have " a bent towards languages" as you said. But I believe that we can develop language learning abilities in most students. First of all you should make them realise the importance of English nowadays, how urgent it is. After this it becomes much easier to teach them.

Seagull is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Harry!
    Could you give me some hints on how to do it? I mean, from your own experience as an English teacher?
    Regards
    Manela Rocha

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manuela Rocha View Post
    Hi, Harry!
    Could you give me some hints on how to do it? I mean, from your own experience as an English teacher?
    Regards
    Manela Rocha
    I'll try. First of all I have a talk with my students on the importance of learning English. I never start teaching without doing it. And I continue it during the whole course of English. One day I tell them an interesting story by an English writer and advise them to read it in English. Another day I bring a magazine with intersting articles and advise them to read. Once I come to my class with a foreigner who speaks only English to them and tell them to speak to him. And as they don't know English well they always have difficulties in speaking. At last I feel that my students are really interested in English. But I don't stop. I always keep on telling them that English is very easy to learn. And I always praise them when they read, write or speak English. It is very important to tell them how well they speak English. They must see the result. Otherwise it will be very difficult to teach them. And never say that it's difficult to learn English even if it really is.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast