Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 48
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Thumbs down how to say it another way?

    hello.how can i say the same thing another way?
    1.they talked on about the dance.
    2.they can shoot straight and behave like a gentleman.
    3.what does no kidding mean in (no kidding.where did you get it?)
    4.always alternate a bite of rice with a bite of the side dishes.
    5.check over ?
    6.can we use welcome in this way? "to welcome an idea or a fashion".if so what is the antonym for this word and if not what can we use instead of welcome?
    7.in giving address we should say "go for two blocks" or "go two blocks"?
    8.what do you call a man that is under the control of his wife or is afraid of his wife that obeys his wife.

  1. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: how to say it another way?

    hello.how can i say the same thing another way?
    1.they talked on about the dance.
    They went on and on about the dance. -or- They continued to gossip about the dance.

    3.what does no kidding mean in (no kidding.where did you get it?)
    "No kidding" is often used to express disbelief or incredulty. "I bought this Gucci bag for only $50." "No kidding?" In the example you gave, "No kidding, where did you get it?" the person wants a serious answer - don't play with me, tell me the actual place where did you get it.

    7.in giving address we should say "go for two blocks" or "go two blocks"?
    In the US, at least, we'd say "go two blocks" or "go two blocks up" or "go two blocks down" (depending upon which direction you are sending them).

    8.what do you call a man that is under the control of his wife or is afraid of his wife that obeys his wife.
    He is henpecked. Another slang term is "whipped," which is actually a shortened form of an obscenity.


    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 438
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: how to say it another way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In the US, at least, we'd say "go two blocks" or "go two blocks up" or "go two blocks down" (depending upon which direction you are sending them).
    Could you please explain this a bit more? Suppose you are going from
    North to South, and meet a person going South to North, looking for directions.
    If the place he is heading to happens to be North, then
    would you say "go two blocks up" or "go two blocks down"?
    Does it depend on the direction in which the person seeking
    directions is headed, or does it also depend on which direction you are going?

    Thanks

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: how to say it another way?

    Quote Originally Posted by englishstudent View Post
    Could you please explain this a bit more? Suppose you are going from
    North to South, and meet a person going South to North, looking for directions.
    If the place he is heading to happens to be North, then
    would you say "go two blocks up" or "go two blocks down"?
    Does it depend on the direction in which the person seeking
    directions is headed, or does it also depend on which direction you are going?
    Thanks
    It pretty much depends upon how the street addresses run. For example, if you're on Main Street, in front of a building whose address is 101 Main Street, 300 Main Street would be "up" and 88 Main Street would be "down."


    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 438
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: how to say it another way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    It pretty much depends upon how the street addresses run. For example, if you're on Main Street, in front of a building whose address is 101 Main Street, 300 Main Street would be "up" and 88 Main Street would be "down."
    OK. Got it. Thank you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •