I'm needing help with correct sentence.. Can you help in determining which is the correct sentence to utilize.
1.Give the award to whomever you think is best. Or is this correct (Give the award to whoever you think is best.)
2. No one tells better jokes than he. or is this correct (No one tells better jokes than him.)
3. Who do you believe, the manager or the secretary or is this one correct (Whom do you believe, the manager or the secretary.)
4. Recent research on cigeratte smoke has encouraged people to reconsider their affect on health. Or is this one correct ( or is this Recent research on cigeratte smoke has encouraged people to reconsider its affect on health.
2. '...than he' - consider the full sentence: "No one tells better jokes than he does."
3. 'Whom do you believe?" - 'whom' is the object of a sentence, whereas 'who' is the subject. Substitute a pronoun in the sentence if you are unsure - "Do you believe HIM?" is correct, not "Do you believe HE". 'You' is the subject, and the object is 'him' (or 'whom').
4. 'its effect...' - you have an effect (noun) on someone when you affect (verb) them. As for the pronoun, it refers to 'cigarette smoke', which is a singular noun.