Thread: Circus

Post Thanks / Like

Circus

The following passage is that a father met one family who was
    in line for the circus but found lack of money , and helped them with some
    money. I cannot understand the last sentence. May I understand that
    it means "we didn't go without helping them." ?
    qot
    The man knew what was going on. He wasn't begging for a handout but certainly appreciated the help in a desperate, heartbreaking, embarrassing situation. He looked straight into my dad's eyes, took my dad's hand in both of his, squeezed tightly onto the $20 bill, and with his lip quivering and a tear streaming down his cheek, he replied, "Thank you, thank you, sir. This really means a lot to me and my family."
    My father and I went back to our car and drove home. We didn't go to the circus that night, but we didn't go without.
    unqot

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Circus

Quote Originally Posted by YOSHITAKEHORI View Post
    The following passage is that a father met one family who was
    in line for the circus but found lack of money , and helped them with some
    money. I cannot understand the last sentence. May I understand that
    it means "we didn't go without helping them." ?
    qot
    The man knew what was going on. He wasn't begging for a handout but certainly appreciated the help in a desperate, heartbreaking, embarrassing situation. He looked straight into my dad's eyes, took my dad's hand in both of his, squeezed tightly onto the $20 bill, and with his lip quivering and a tear streaming down his cheek, he replied, "Thank you, thank you, sir. This really means a lot to me and my family."
    My father and I went back to our car and drove home. We didn't go to the circus that night, but we didn't go without.
    unqot
    No. To 'go without' in this context is an idiom meaning 'go without what is necessary for life' - food, shelter, etc. For example: "Our family was extremely poor, but our mother made sure we never went without."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Circus

Coffa
    Thank you for your reply. Now I understand the meaning of "go without" as an idiom. But I'm still confused by that in this context. They didn't go without
    a what? " We didn't go to the circus that night, but we didn't go without
    dinner?"