Thread: CELTA or TESOL

• Post Thanks / Like

CELTA or TESOL

I am an UK expatriate residing in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and in the not too distant future I plan to return to Spain.
    As my current job is very specialized I am unsure if I could continue with my present career as an Analytical Chemist, so I am considering training as an English teacher as I think there would be more options available for me to teach in an International School in Spain.

As I will be in Dubai for a few more years I have made enquires and I have found out that there are two options available in which I could study in the evening after work.

Option 1:

Celta Course either by the University of Wollongong Australia or the British Council. (approx 4 month part time course)

Option 2:

Cert TESOL course by Woods James Consultants accredited by Trinity College London. (6 month course 3-4 hrs per week part time)

As the courses are both in the region of +1000 pounds I don’t wish to waste my money and would like any advise on which would be the more suitable course.

Any advise on the differences in the courses or subject matter would be greatly appreciated or if these courses would be useful for Teaching in Overseas countries.

Many thanks

Lee

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: CELTA or TESOL

The CELTA is the most widely-recognised course, so it might open more doors, though Trinity College are also respectable. Of the CELTAs, I'd choose the BC for the same reason.

• Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: CELTA or TESOL

leecostello20,

I would suggest you to take the CELTA course. I have taken both. I took the CELTA in Recife, Brazil and the TEFL/TESOL in Toronto, Canada. I took the TEFL/TESOL first and when I was inside the classroom taking the CELTA, only a few things were new for me. But in general, I think you would learn more and take more advantage of a CELTA degree than a TEFL/TESOL. I have both but usually people ask about my CELTA degree.
    Hope I've helped you.

Cheers

• Post Thanks / Like

Celta all the way!

• Post Thanks / Like

but what's the difference between the two other than the degree of international recognition?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Recognition above all- the Trinity Course is a respectable course, but it doesn't have the international cachet of the CELTA.

• Post Thanks / Like

CELTA is widely recognised therefore highly recommended.
    I myself did it just last semester - part time.
    Part-time however does not mean that you just work on it "part-time". Be ready to sacrifice all your free time and social life
    It is tough, but if you really wanna do it - go for it
    Renata