Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question A new teacher's problem

Hi, everyone! I'm a Chinese girl majoring in English. I'm now on an MA program of translation, but I also teach English on my campus. Usually I teach reading and listening, but this semester I'm teaching "Society and culture of major English-speaking countries".

My problem is that I've never been abroad. I don't think it a good idea to stick to the dull textbook and make students sleep in class. And my department has failed to provide any colorful maps or beautiful pictures. I taught a lesson last week and it was a fiasco. I didn't even know what I was talking about. The students were very confused. So was I! Actually I started to doubt my competence as a teacher.

Any suggestions for the improvement of this damn "Society and culture of major English-speaking countries"? Help, please!

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A new teacher's problem

What level are the students and will they be assessed for this course?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: A new teacher's problem

They are adult students. Their English is not so good, so I speak a lot of Chinese in class. They won't have a test at the end of the semester. Instead, they'll have to write an essay. Any suggestions?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you tailor the course to cover things they might be interested in or is there a fixed syllabus? If not, then you can interpret culture in the widest sense and look at something that might be of interest to them. Are they studying for particular purposes? How will they be using their English after the course?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Can you tailor the course to cover things they might be interested in or is there a fixed syllabus? If not, then you can interpret culture in the widest sense and look at something that might be of interest to them. Are they studying for particular purposes? How will they be using their English after the course?
    Theoretically, I have to teach something on the textbook. But I can decide the syllabus because there won't be an exam at last. My adult students pay for weekend classes in my college. On weekdays, they work on insurance, real estate, publishing houses, foreign companies, etc. They don't have much time to study. Anyway, I guess each of them will get some certificates as long as they spend enough money.
    My department is not quite responsible, I think. They just want to get tuition fees. No one would blame me if I just read the textbook in class, but personally I hope the students can get something from me, something interesting or even enlightening. Maybe I'm too ambitious:)

A friend here advised me to ask the foreign embassies in China for some materials. I did it this afternoon. I hope they will help.

By the way, how can I pronounce your name?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

What sort of topicas does it cover? Maybe I can help find some stuff if you could tell me the subjects.

It's an acronym and pronounced 'tea doll', though my real name's Richard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by virginiatong423 View Post
    Theoretically, I have to teach something on the textbook. But I can decide the syllabus because there won't be an exam at last. My adult students pay for weekend classes in my college. On weekdays, they work on insurance, real estate, publishing houses, foreign companies, etc. They don't have much time to study. Anyway, I guess each of them will get some certificates as long as they spend enough money.
    My department is not quite responsible, I think. They just want to get tuition fees. No one would blame me if I just read the textbook in class, but personally I hope the students can get something from me, something interesting or even enlightening. Maybe I'm too ambitious:)

A friend here advised me to ask the foreign embassies in China for some materials. I did it this afternoon. I hope they will help.

By the way, how can I pronounce your name?
    How nice a teacher, I am a employer of a USA company in China, and feeling it is so important to communicate with others in English, but I do not have enough time to have a course in my free time, so I come here to write something for correcting by the teachers here, Tdol is a kind man, he always tell others how to say and how to write with enough patience.
    So nice to meet you, by the way, could you tell me which city are you in if you are willing to? Maybe I can be a student of you.
    Thanks!
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    What sort of topicas does it cover? Maybe I can help find some stuff if you could tell me the subjects.

It's an acronym and pronounced 'tea doll', though my real name's Richard.
    I only teach on weekends. Next weekend I'll talk about the festivals in the UK, while the week after next will be sth about Ireland. I'm not sure what I'll say about Ireland yet. Thank you for the message, Richard. You're very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    How nice a teacher, I am a employer of a USA company in China, and feeling it is so important to communicate with others in English, but I do not have enough time to have a course in my free time, so I come here to write something for correcting by the teachers here, Tdol is a kind man, he always tell others how to say and how to write with enough patience.
    So nice to meet you, by the way, could you tell me which city are you in if you are willing to? Maybe I can be a student of you.
    Thanks!
    Ian
    Hi, Ian. Thanks for the message. Nice to meet you, too. I'm in Beijing. What about you? I'd be glad if I can do anything to help.

P.S. Are you an employer or an employee in a company? I guess maybe you were referring to the latter one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by virginiatong423 View Post
    Hi, Ian. Thanks for the message. Nice to meet you, too. I'm in Beijing. What about you? I'd be glad if I can do anything to help.

P.S. Are you an employer or an employee in a company? I guess maybe you were referring to the latter one.
    Yes, employee, sorry for my mistake, I am in Shanghai.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast