• Post Thanks / Like

correct usage of 'will' and 'would' in given context

Hello,
    I have written an essay for applying to a B-School. I am confused whether 'will' or 'would' is correct in the below sentences -
    1. With strengths like leadership aptitude, analytical skills and a drive to excel, I believe I would/will contribute positively to the school's competitive culture.
    2. I am confident my knowledge and experiences would/will add value to other participants and facilitate a health exchange of ideas leading to a win-win situation for all.
    3. The experience of working in magazine editorial teams at school, college and my company would/will help me take the institute magazine to greater heights.
    In these two sentences, I am talking about what I think I would add to the school. Can you help me decide what to use- will or would? And what is the grammar rule behind the decision so that I can take a call by myself in future?
    And please let me know if these sentences contain some other error.

Thanks in advance.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: correct usage of 'will' and 'would' in given context

Quote Originally Posted by ss1981 View Post
    Hello,
    I have written an essay for applying to a B-School. I am confused whether 'will' or 'would' is correct in the [below] sentences below. -

My feeling is that 'below' tends to not be used in a frontal position. Others may have a different feeling on this.

1. With strengths like leadership aptitude, analytical skills and a drive to excel, I believe I would/will contribute positively to the school's competitive culture.
    2. I am confident my knowledge and experiences would/will add value to other participants and facilitate a healthy exchange of ideas leading to a win-win situation for all.
    3. The experience of working in magazine editorial teams at school, college and my company would/will help me take the institute magazine to greater heights.

In these two sentences, I am talking about what I think I would add to the school. Can you help me decide what to use- will or would? And what is the grammar rule behind the decision so that I can take a call by myself in future?

Students have to get over this attitude that 'grammer' dictates one correct answer. Life's situations are much too complicated for that and there are often a number of choices. The decision on which language is chosen often reflects register differences, writing versus speech, people being spoken to, etc.

In this case, SS, either one would work grammatically but they state different feelings. Using 'will' might be interpreted as being overly cocky, the feeling that you're already hired or it could be interpeted as the kind of confidence that the company is looking for.

Using 'would' leaves the idea of you being hired as more of a tentative decision, which it still is. 'would' is more polite, more deferential. I can't really decide for you which to choose because only you have any idea abut how it will be rceived.

My personal feeling is that in a letter, using more tentative 'would' would be better and a face to face interview is the place for more directness, for a real selling of yourself.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome. I hope that I've helped you. Good luck!
    #

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: correct usage of 'will' and 'would' in given context

Hello,
    I have written an essay for applying to a B-School. I am confused on the use of 'will' or 'would' in the following sentences -
    1. With strengths like leadership aptitude, analytical skills and a drive to excel, I believe I would/will (Shall is better) contribute positively to the school's competitive culture.
    2. I am confident that my knowledge and experiences would/will (Shall)add value to other participants and facilitate a health exchange of ideas leading to a win-win situation for all.
    3. The experience of working in magazine editorial teams at school, college and my company(workplace??) would/will (shall) help me take the institute magazine to greater heights.
    Usually in plural forms Shall rather than will is used

Thanks in advance.
    Also, I with riverkid in the matter of preferences.
    Moreover, is the business school you have applied to SPJIMR, MUMBAI..?

thanks and good luck!!

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I have written an essay for applying to a B-School. I am confused whether 'will' or 'would' is correct in the below sentences -
    2. I am confident my knowledge and experiences would/will add value to other participants and facilitate a health exchange of ideas leading to a win-win situation for all.

Thanks in advance.
    I vote for will. My previous experience with. . . will allow me to contribute to. . . And it will.

With strengths such as leadership aptitude. . .
    I am confident that my knowledge. . .
    "I believe I would" sounds weak to me.

• Post Thanks / Like

I would like to cast a vehement vote against shall (and also against the "rule" given above...).
    What about saying "I will be able to..." instead of "I believe I would/will..."?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear Participants,

Kindly help me (to) understand the following sentences that were used at various places in the above post [ is to in the braces required to be used in this sentence?]:

1. in plural forms Shall rather than will is used --- So, for plural forms shall is preferred to would or will? Also in the sentences posed by the thread starter, can we use shall instead of would or will as mentioned by shad?

2. is the business school you have applied to SPJIMR, MUMBAI..? --- Is this sentence correct?

3. I would like to cast a vehement vote against shall (and also against the "rule" given above...) --- when I read this, I get two different meanings: one for not voting for 'shall' and the other for voting for 'shall'.

Please explain

Thanks
    Kiran

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear Teachers,

Kindly address this doubt.. :) Please let me know if I couldn't address my question properly.

Thanks,
    Kiran