Post Thanks / Like

Default Sentence Revision.

Hello, I'm new here and please bear with me if there is already a thread for this.

Well, I'm helping my aunt's college friend with her revision worksheet and I'm stuck on these last five. Some guidance would be nice.

Instructions: Revise and re-write these sentences.

1. In this story " The Perfect Picture" by James Thom, which is an extraordinary piece, he writes of a situation he was in at a point of his life.

F.Y.I. : My aunt left a note beside it saying there is a misplaced modifier located here.

2. The viewing of human suffering has increased from day to day. Reporters and newscasters could quite possibly be the basis for this increase.

3. Instead of following his job duties, Thom decided to view this case from personal angel.

4. On one side, there would be those that believe pictures, events, and the news, regardless of the subject matter are public property as long as it's done in the name of media material.

5. Being a writer and in the news industry, the story gave him a curious feeling most reporters have.

F.Y.I.: There is also a misplaced modifier located here as well.

Any help would be lovely. Thanks.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sentence Revision.

1 James Thom, which is an extraordinary piece,- this looks as if it is modifying the author, not the story
    2- possibly be the basis for this increase- I'd rewrite this part
    3 angel- spelling and it needs an article
    4 regardless of the subject matter- comma
    5 Being a writer and in the news industry- this modfies the subject, story, not the person

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnImmortality View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and please bear with me if there is already a thread for this.

Well, I'm helping my aunt's college friend with her revision worksheet and I'm stuck on these last five. Some guidance would be nice.

Instructions: Revise and re-write these sentences.

1. In this story " The Perfect Picture" by James Thom, which is an extraordinary piece, he writes of a situation he was in at a point of his life.

F.Y.I. : My aunt left a note beside it saying there is a misplaced modifier located here.

2. The viewing of human suffering has increased from day to day. Reporters and newscasters could quite possibly be the basis for this increase.

3. Instead of following his job duties, Thom decided to view this case from personal angel.

4. On one side, there would be those that believe pictures, events, and the news, regardless of the subject matter are public property as long as it's done in the name of media material.

5. Being a writer and in the news industry, the story gave him a curious feeling most reporters have.

F.Y.I.: There is also a misplaced modifier located here as well.

Any help would be lovely. Thanks.
    The words in red are the additions. And the underlined parts refer to the restructuring.

1. In the story "The Perfect Picture", which is an extraordinary piece by James Thom, the author writes of a situation he was in at a point of his life.
    2. The viewing of human suffering has increased day by day. Reporters and newscasters could quite possibly be the basis for this increase.
    3. Instead of following his job duties, Thom decided to view this case from a personal angle.
    4. On one side, there would be those who believe that pictures, events, and news, regardless of the subject matter, are public property as long as it's done in the name of media material.
    Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandhya.sha View Post
    The words in red are the additions. And the underlined parts refer to the restructuring.
    1. In the story "The Perfect Picture", which is an extraordinary piece by James Thom, the author writes of a situation he was in at a point of his life.
    2. The viewing of human suffering has increased day by day. Reporters and newscasters could quite possibly be the basis for this increase.
    3. Instead of following his job duties, Thom decided to view this case from a personal angle.
    4. On one side, there would be those who believe that pictures, events, and news, regardless of the subject matter, are public property as long as it's done in the name of media material.
    Hope this helps

I missed one sentence

As a writer and being in the news industry, the story gave him a curious feeling most reporters have.