• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink declining fitness?

I am not sure what the underlined phrases mean. can somebody help me?

1. this study provides one answer to the current trend of declining fitness in America's youth. ( what does it mean by declining fitness?

2. Dr. Ozmun guesses the toys would be used by physical therapists to help young patients with strength, balance and coordination. what does the undrlined part mean? especially coordination?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: declining fitness?

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    I am not sure what the underlined phrases mean. can somebody help me?

1. this study provides one answer to the current trend of declining fitness in America's youth. ( what does it mean by declining fitness?

2. Dr. Ozmun guesses the toys would be used by physical therapists to help young patients with strength, balance and coordination. what does the undrlined part mean? especially coordination?
    declining fitness - decreasing health. the sentence means " the study provides one answer to the current trend of decrease in health in America's youth".

coordination means:
    1. the act of making parts of sth, groups of people, etc. work together in an efficient and organized way
    2. ability to control your movements well
    it means the toys help the young patients to gain strength and balance, and to control their body and make them work together.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: declining fitness?

Twenty to 30 years ago, recreational activities for children usually meant going outside and playing running games or riding their bicycles or playing other physical games, like hopscotch, jumprope, kickball, things like that. Children were much more physically active, which was good for their overall health.

These days, television, computers and video games have become increasingly popular as pastimes for American children. Unfortunately, these activities require little physical energy; kids just sit there. As a result, children aren't exercising very much, they are getting fatter at a younger age, and many are unable to pass the most elementary physical fitness tests (like running 50 yeards, or doing 25 push-ups).