I enjoy teaching English

Status
Not open for further replies.

isko_sbma

Member Type
Student or Learner
i'm not a native speaker but in the philippines we study english from childhood. i've begun to have a great passion of studying english, since i started teaching english in japan. i'd like to share with you some of my favorite english websites for improving conversational skill, www.sharedtalk.com and www.englishroleplay.com. it helps me to build more confedence to speak english and to become a good conversationalist.

Last edited:

Nguyen Tuyet

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have been teaching since 1977 and as you see I started teaching in the former Soviet Union. It was very strict to follow the programme adopted by the ministry of education. I, maybe the only teacher in the whole country was doing what he wanted. I was giving tests very much alike those we give today. I mean multiple choice. Why I could do it. Because I was a teacher and the inspector who was in charge of it. I was writing my reports according to the programme. The door of classroom has always been open for everybody. They could come and listen to my lessons and even study with little schoolchildren. I have always been independent in teaching and I will always be. Nobody can stop me teach my students who like the lessons I give them. My critics are my students. They can change the process if they want.
I admire you. But in our country we must follow the programme adopted by the ministry of education. It is the compulsory in the whole country. Teachers no right to refuse them. But I am thinking about to teach my student by mixing between my own material and textbook of the ministry of education. In our high school, we only can independent in lesson plan but can't independent in textbook. We can teach in own method but still follow ministry of education

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I admire you. But in our country we must follow the programme adopted by the ministry of education. It is the compulsory in the whole country. Teachers no right to refuse them. But I am thinking about to teach my student by mixing between my own material and textbook of the ministry of education. In our high school, we only can independent in lesson plan but can't independent in textbook. We can teach in own method but still follow ministry of education

And what if you teach your own material based on the textbooks? I mean you can remove all uninteresting exerceses and texts and do listening one day and forum(free discussion) another day. I'm sure you can. From what you write I can see that you are very energetic and hard working. I hope you are ambitious too. In this case you'll have no problem. Don't forget your students love English and they will gladly learn what you teach them. I don't speak about politics at my lessons. We speak about music, sport, literature, culture and what not except politics.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
i'm not a native speaker but in the philippines we study english from childhood. i've begun to have a great passion of studying english, since i started teaching english in japan. i'd like to share with you some of my favorite english websites for improving conversational skill, www.sharedtalk.com and www.englishroleplay.com. it helps me to build more confedence to speak english and to become a good conversationalist.

Thanks for the links. I'll visit the websites as soon as I have spare time. Could you tell me a little more about your natine language? I mean "Do everybody read, write and speak your native language?'' How well are you taught English at school and kindergarten?

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
heyy how can ı learn englısh more good ???

You can learn English better if you work hard. Also you must must keep the most important rule of learning English i.e every day at least one hour to devote to English. Good luck!

Nguyen Tuyet

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
And what if you teach your own material based on the textbooks? I mean you can remove all uninteresting exerceses and texts and do listening one day and forum(free discussion) another day. I'm sure you can. From what you write I can see that you are very energetic and hard working. I hope you are ambitious too. In this case you'll have no problem. Don't forget your students love English and they will gladly learn what you teach them. I don't speak about politics at my lessons. We speak about music, sport, literature, culture and what not except politics.
Thanks for your encouragment.:) Right now I teach own material based on the textbooks. I find something that really interesting and helpful for my students from the textbooks and mix them with my materials as long as they don't go far from the programmes of ministry of education.I still follow the texts of MOET but I design in my ways. It seems flexiable. So my students enjoy it very much. I am very grateful with what your experiences that you have shared to me. :)

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks for your encouragment.:) Right now I teach own material based on the textbooks. I find something that really interesting and helpful for my students from the textbooks and mix them with my materials as long as they don't go far from the programmes of ministry of education.I still follow the texts of MOET but I design in my ways. It seems flexiable. So my students enjoy it very much. I am very grateful with what your experiences that you have shared to me. :)

Could you tell me what kind of Grammar references you use in your country. Is Raymond Murphy's Essential Grammar popular there?

Nguyen Tuyet

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Could you tell me what kind of Grammar references you use in your country. Is Raymond Murphy's Essential Grammar popular there?
Yes, most popular grammar references is used in my country is Raymond Murphy's Essential Grammar. Beside it I use some grammar books written by A.J Thomson & A.V Martinet, and some by Betty Schrampfer Aza such as: Fundamentals of English grammar, understanding and using english grammar, basic english grammar from elementary to advance.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, most popular grammar references is used in my country is Raymond Murphy's Essential Grammar. Beside it I use some grammar books written by A.J Thomson & A.V Martinet, and some by Betty Schrampfer Aza such as: Fundamentals of English grammar, understanding and using english grammar, basic english grammar from elementary to advance.

Well, I see you have no problem with grammar books. I hope you are allowed to use foreigh textbooks to teach vocabulary. I must say that you feel your success in teaching English only after a long period of time, when your students get enough knowledge and start using it properly.

Nguyen Tuyet

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Well, I see you have no problem with grammar books. I hope you are allowed to use foreigh textbooks to teach vocabulary. I must say that you feel your success in teaching English only after a long period of time, when your students get enough knowledge and start using it properly.
yeah, sure, timing is very important to make sure that method of teaching is effective or not....and I hope that what i have tried to improve the way of teaching and learning english for my students will be accept. and I wonder if in my teaching process have some confusing, could you help me to make it clear.:) Thanks you so much.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
yeah, sure, timing is very important to make sure that method of teaching is effective or not....and I hope that what i have tried to improve the way of teaching and learning english for my students will be accept. and I wonder if in my teaching process have some confusing, could you help me to make it clear.:) Thanks you so much.

Yes, willingly. Only write me and tell me what you especially need.While teaching I am allowed to make experiments and find out new methods of teaching.

Sunflower34

Hello, Harry Smith!

So teaching is just a hobby for you?
I'm glad that you enjoy teaching so much!
I'm also a teacher. I teach English as a foreign language but, unfortunately my students (and students in general in my country- Portugal) aren't very motivated to learn this lovely language!! As a matter of fact almost every child and teenager doen't like school at all!!! And this is the real problem! The Portuguese educational problem is facing some problems...:-( However I like teaching...
I'd like to know how your educational system works there in Armenia.

Greetings from Portugal!

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, Harry Smith!

So teaching is just a hobby for you?
I'm glad that you enjoy teaching so much!
I'm also a teacher. I teach English as a foreign language but, unfortunately my students (and students in general in my country- Portugal) aren't very motivated to learn this lovely language!! As a matter of fact almost every child and teenager doen't like school at all!!! And this is the real problem! The Portuguese educational problem is facing some problems...:-( However I like teaching...
I'd like to know how your educational system works there in Armenia.

Greetings from Portugal!

The educational system of Armenia is in the process of reformation. Every year something is changed. There are a lot of problems at schools like everywhere. Children do not like learning at school because most lessons are boring even their favourite Physical Education. As to English I'm trying to do everything possible to make it more and more interesting. I see that children love my subject and I'm teaching them with greatest pleasure. The process of teaching depends completely on the teachers though the government often forgets to pay them like in some countries of Europe. But if you are really a good teacher you mustn't pay attention to such subjective factors.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The Portuguese educational problem is facing some problems...:-(

What sort of problems is it having? You've mentioned this in a couple fo quotes, so it sounds quite serious.

Sunflower34

Hi, Tdol!

Well as I said the Portuguese educational system is facing several problems, speacially because of the continuous process of reformation that every year happens! Things are alawys changing... we, teachers don't have any kind of stability as we are constantly changing from school to school every school year... The students are more and more rude and violent (and their parents don't seem to know this! and don't care!) so they are unwilling of learning... :-( . It is a structural problem... Schools don't have the appropriate conditions...

What about teachers in the UK? For what I know about there is some need of teachers...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't lived in the UK for a while, but the system has some similar problems to those. In some areas, there are shortages of teachers, especially in London because property prices are so high that teachers simply can't afford to live there.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I haven't lived in the UK for a while, but the system has some similar problems to those. In some areas, there are shortages of teachers, especially in London because property prices are so high that teachers simply can't afford to live there.

The prices in Moscow are also high but working here as a teacher of English I get about $70 salary a month. And I don't complain because it won't change anything. I simply give private lessons. But Ihave been following this rule for many years: I never give private lessons to those whom I teach at school.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A ethical approach ignored by many.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
A ethical approach ignored by many.

Not only ignored but also many of them create a background for their students to take private lessons from them giving them lower marks.:-(

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Poaching is one thing, but that is just plain corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.