writing a letter to a prospective employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlestra5

Hello,

I believe I'm writing in regard to how to write an informal business letter.

Here is my situation:

I recently contacted an advertising agency through their "general information" email address to request their company brochure. To my surprise, the creative director and senior vice president of the company replied back. As an aside, I informed the creative director of my motive in requesting the company brochure: I would be looking to leave my current position in the next year to move to an advertising agency, and I thought the particular agency at which he was working held a lot of promise. The creative director suggested that I send him some samples of my work when I got the chance.

And that's where I stand now. The important thing to note is that during our email correspondence with each other, the creative director and I were very informal—we spoke more like friends than like future boss and employee, so to speak.

So I am ready to mail my work samples, and I'd like to include a letter detailing some of the work I will have enclosed. How should this letter be written? I've used the creative director's name in our emails with each other, saying "Hi Rick" and using other similar gestures. I'm just wondering if this letter should be less formal than a standard business letter, and if so, how I should go about doing that. Any advice, or links offering advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since you're already on a first-name basis with him, I'd address the letter as follows:

Mr. Rick Shaw
Creative Director
McMahon and Tate Agency
13 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90121

Dear Rick:

That is, use his formal name and title in the inside address, but use his first name in the salutation.

Make sure to mention your past correspondence: "I enjoyed our past email conversations, and per your suggestion, am enclosing some samples of my work."

rlestra5

I just have two more questions. 1)Should my return address appear above his on the left side of the page? 2)Should the date appear anywhere, and if so, where?

Thanks again Ouisch.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is the basic format for a business letter: