Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pls help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Pls help

    Hi, Could you tell me that is it right that the "decent living" in the following sentences means living in Mexico as an English teacher will take a good salary?

    What's more disappointing than a person who makes a promise he can't keep? A person who makes a promise that is a lie. Many promises to make a "decent living" teaching English in Mexico are just that-a lie.

    Thanks!
    Ian

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pls help

    Wuwei, you are right. It means to earn a good salary.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Pls help

    Quote Originally Posted by englishstudent View Post
    Wuwei, you are right. It means to earn a good salary.
    Englishstudent, thanks for your timely reply, here is an other story, could you be kind to correct it, thanks.

    Darkness's opposite is brightness
    There were two four or five aged boys, the sun light can not entered their room through the closed windows. They admired to let more light come in.
    One day, one said to the other, "Why not besom any light into our room?"
    So they did so on the balcony and then took into their room, but whey they entered their room they found that the sunlight disappeared at once. They all were tired and disappointed after several time attempt, the room is also full of darkness.
    Their mother busying in the kitchen was so surprise and asked, "Kids, what are you doing now?" After having got the answer from the children, the mother smiled and openned the window, said," Babies, you can open the window, the sunlight will come in automaticlly, why not try an other way if you failed, pls remember, the other side of the darkness alway is the brightness

    Thanks!
    Ian
    Last edited by wuwei; 21-Sep-2006 at 07:43.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pls help

    Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    Darkness's opposite is brightness
    There were two four or five aged boys, the sun light can not entered their room through the closed windows. They admired to let more light come in.
    There were two boys aged around five. Sunlight couldn't enter their
    room because the windows were closed. They aspired to make the
    room brighter.


    Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    One day, one said to the other, "Why not besom any light into our room?"
    Sorry, I don't quite understand this one. I looked up the meaning
    of 'besom' in the dictionary and it is a noun (a brush for sweeping floors).
    Do you want so say something like this - "Why not sweep some light
    into our room?"

    If that is not what you had in mind, could you please use a different
    English word? BTW, I am curious to know what the Chinese words
    are for this sentence.



    Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    So they did so on the balcony and then took into their room, but whey they entered their room they found that the sunlight disappeared at once. They all were tired and disappointed after several time attempt, the room is also full of darkness.
    ...but when they entered......
    ..... after several attempts, and the room was still full of darkness.


    Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    Their mother busying in the kitchen was so surprise and asked, "Kids, what are you doing now?"
    Their mother, who was busy in the kitchen, was surprised and asked....


    Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    After having got the answer from the children, the mother smiled and openned the window, said," Babies, you can open the window, the sunlight will come in automaticlly, why not try an other way if you failed, pls remember, the other side of the darkness alway is the brightness
    When she heard their answer, the mother smilingly opened the window,
    and said, "Kids, when you open the window, the sunlight will automatically come in. Why not try another way (or, why not try something else) when you fail? Pls remember......"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pls help

    hi, can somebody help me please.

    My son has got an assignment about double letter words.

    The first thing that needs to be done is to look for words that has a double consonant letter, which fair enough we have already done.

    What really made my mind work is to look for a two-syllable word with double vowel and consonant in it.

    Do u have any idea of any word? I cant really think of any. I looked into the dictionary but it didnt help at all.

    I am really glad that I saw this forum.

    Please help.


    desperate,

    iarijv

  6. #6
    Philly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pls help

    .
    What about keenness?
    .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Pls help

    Sorry, I don't quite understand this one. I looked up the meaning
    of 'besom' in the dictionary and it is a noun (a brush for sweeping floors).
    Do you want so say something like this - "Why not sweep some light
    into our room?"

    If that is not what you had in mind, could you please use a different
    English word? BTW, I am curious to know what the Chinese words
    are for this sentence.


    Yes, Englishstudent, I mean that they wanted to sweep some light into their room, and I consulted it in my dictionary - that "besom" can be used as a verb (Vt).
    In Chinese, we should say '为什么不扫点阳光进我们的房间呢?', you can pronounce it like this-' wei sheng mo bu shao dian yiang jing wo men de fang jian ne?', I type it in Pinyi, and I do not know if your PC can display Chinese or not.
    Any question, pls tell me.
    Thanks
    Ian

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Pls help

    Sorry, I don't quite understand this one. I looked up the meaning
    of 'besom' in the dictionary and it is a noun (a brush for sweeping floors).
    Do you want so say something like this - "Why not sweep some light
    into our room?"

    If that is not what you had in mind, could you please use a different
    English word? BTW, I am curious to know what the Chinese words
    are for this sentence.


    Yes, Englishstudent, I mean that they wanted to sweep some light into their room, and I consulted it in my dictionary - that "besom" can be used as a verb (Vt).
    In Chinese, we should say '为什么不扫点阳光进我们的房间呢?', you can pronounce it like this-' wei sheng mo bu shao dian yiang jing wo men de fang jian ne?', I type it in Pinyi, and I do not know if your PC can display Chinese or not.
    Any question, pls tell me.
    Thanks
    Ian

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pls help

    Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    Yes, Englishstudent, I mean that they wanted to sweep some light into their room, and I consulted it in my dictionary - that "besom" can be used as a verb (Vt).
    In Chinese, we should say '为什么不扫点阳光进我们的房间呢?', you can pronounce it like this-' wei sheng mo bu shao dian yiang jing wo men de fang jian ne?', I type it in Pinyi, and I do not know if your PC can display Chinese or not.
    Ian, I checked a couple of online dictionaries (http://www.dictionary.com,
    http://www.oup.com/oald-bin/web_getald7index1a.pl), but I could not
    see it listed as a verb, so let us wait and see what the experts have to
    say about its possible use as a verb. My suggestion is to use a
    simple word such as "sweep", because "besom" sounds archaic (commonly
    used in an earlier time but rare in present-day usage) and not easy
    to understand.

    Thanks for letting me know the Chinese words. I am able to view
    Chinese characters on my PC, but thanks for typing in the pinyin.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Pls help

    Quote Originally Posted by englishstudent View Post
    Ian, I checked a couple of online dictionaries (http://www.dictionary.com,
    http://www.oup.com/oald-bin/web_getald7index1a.pl), but I could not
    see it listed as a verb, so let us wait and see what the experts have to
    say about its possible use as a verb. My suggestion is to use a
    simple word such as "sweep", because "besom" sounds archaic (commonly
    used in an earlier time but rare in present-day usage) and not easy
    to understand.

    Thanks for letting me know the Chinese words. I am able to view
    Chinese characters on my PC, but thanks for typing in the pinyin.
    Englishstudent, you are always warmly welcome
    Ian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •