• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default food

Dear teachers,
    I have some questions on food.
    1. In the novel Sons and Lovers, there is a description: But when Mrs.Morel scanned the bill of fare, her heart was heavy, things were so dear. So she ordered kidney-pies and potatoes as the cheapest available dish.
    My questions are: 1. I was told Westerner don't eat animal organs. According to the novel this is not true. 2. Kidney-pie is cheap food is it? Do rich people eat it?
    2. Around ten years ago I saw an American film Educating Reta ( I don't know whether the girl's name is correct or not) there is a scene: The professor invited Reta to a party at his home. Reta arrived at the professor's house but she didn't go in. I think the next morning the professor asked her why she didn't enter the house Reta said sh bought a bottle of Spanish wine. I don't see the connection between Reta's actions. What's wrong with the wine.
    3. I was told that fish symbolizes life. Could you please tell me the origin
    of it?

Thank you.

Jiang

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: food

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    I have some questions on food.
    1. In the novel Sons and Lovers, there is a description: But when Mrs.Morel scanned the bill of fare, her heart was heavy, things were so dear. So she ordered kidney-pies and potatoes as the cheapest available dish.
    My questions are: 1. I was told Westerner don't eat animal organs. According to the novel this is not true. 2. Kidney-pie is cheap food is it? Do rich people eat it?
    The umbles are entrails, and umble pie is what the servants used to eat (in England). In the USA we eat chicken liver and also calf liver, but that is about the only oran meat we eat. (Some people do eat calf brains.)

Kidney pie is, I think, fairly inexpensive (cheap). (It's a British dish.)

2. Around ten years ago I saw an American film Educating Reta ( I don't know whether the girl's name is correct or not) there is a scene: The professor invited Reta to a party at his home. Reta arrived at the professor's house but she didn't go in. I think the next morning the professor asked her why she didn't enter the house Reta said sh bought a bottle of Spanish wine. I don't see the connection between Reta's actions. What's wrong with the wine.
    There seems to be no connection between the professor's question and Rita's answer.

3. I was told that fish symbolizes life. Could you please tell me the origin
    of it?
    That may be true in some cultures, but I don't know what those cultures are. Perhaps Red will do a Web search to find out for us.

:wink:

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

We do eat animal organs- liver and kidneys are commons, with offal, etc, used less. steak and Kidney pie is a well-known dish in the UK. Just kidney would be cheap as such cuts of meat are less expensive here.