Thread: Correction

petr is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Correction

I´d like to ask for correction of this leaflet. The task is to write a leflet to new students where I explain to them how it works in the school that I have attended for a long time.
    thanks in advance

Welcome at the grammar school of B. Nemcova in Hradec Kralove

My name is P. Novak and I´ve studied at the grammar school of B. Nemcova for seven years. That´s why I was asked to give you some practical advice and tips which could be useful for you and make your life easier. Moreover, you´ll know what to expect before starting at the school.

Facilities for self-study
    There are three libraries in the town – one is next to the school. In these libraries you could borrow books, video cassettes, DVDs or audio cassettes for two weeks. If you look for a quiet place for studying, you should go to a reading room which is a part of library. For using the internet, you can go to the school, where it is free of charge but often occuppied by other students as well. So I recommend you to go to internet cafés which aren´t very expensive and you won´t wait for ages.

Time table
    Your classes are going to start at 8 o´clock and finish at 14 o´clock, despite one day when you ´ll finish at 16 o´clock because of chemical or biological seminars. Precise timetable you´ll know at the begging of September.You should attend school regulary and beware of be late at morning classes. If not you´ll risk serious problems with teachers and then with our shoolmaster. So I think it´ s better to avoid it.

Social activities
    You´ll certainly find a lot of possibilities how to get away from it all and let your hair down.
    Our school organizes amazing sportive and social activities for our students that may interest you. You can spend your free time by doing sports (such as basketball, volleyball, gymnastics and athletics), enlist in art group or involve yourself in school newspaper . From time to time students visit an art or cultural exhibition, a museum, a theatre or film festival with our school.

If you have any problems at school you can contact study department, which is open from Monday to Friday 8.00-15.00. So don´t worry, it´s gonna be O.K.

marthafromsf is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Correction

Welcome to the grammar school of B. Nemcova in Hradec Kralove
    My name is P. Novak and I´ve studied at the grammar school of B. Nemcova for seven years. That´s why I was asked to give you some practical advice and tips which could be useful for you and make your life easier. Moreover, you´ll know what to expect before starting at the school.
    Facilities for self-study
    There are three libraries in the town – one is next to the school. In these libraries you can borrow books, video cassettes, DVDs or audio cassettes for two weeks. If you are looking for a quiet place to study, you can go to a reading room which is a part of the library. To use the internet, you can go to the school, where it is free of charge but often occupied by other students as well. So I recommend that you go to internet cafés which aren´t very expensive and where you won´t wait for ages.
    Timetable
    Your classes are going to start at 8 o´clock and finish at 14 o´clock, except for one day when you´ll finish at 16 o´clock because of chemical or biological seminars. You´ll know the precise timetable at the beginning of September. You should attend school regularly and beware of being late to morning classes. If not, you´ll risk serious problems with teachers and then with our schoolmaster. So I think it´ s better to avoid it.
    Social activities
    You´ll certainly find a lot of opportunities to get away from it all and let your hair down.
    Our school organizes amazing sportive and social activities for our students that may interest you. You can spend your free time doing sports (such as basketball, volleyball, gymnastics and athletics), enlist in an art group or involve yourself in the school newspaper . From time to time students visit an art or cultural exhibition, a museum, a theatre or film festival with our school.
    If you have any problems at school you can contact the study department, which is open from Monday to Friday 8.00-15.00. So don´t worry, it´s gonna be O.K.
    petr
    Petr- I think you did a great job on this! I've corrected only a few things that didn't sound quite right to me. My corrections are in red.
    Martha

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Correction

One small thing. In AE we would say schedule, not timetable.

~R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marthafromsf View Post
    Your classes are going to start at 8 o´clock and finish at 14 o´clock, except for one day when you´ll finish at 16 o´clock
    Martha
    "o'clock" is generally only used in speech. Also, we never say 14 o'clock or 16 o'clock as traditionally the 2 x 12 hour clock rather than the 24 hour clock was used. So you could say 8 am, 2 pm and 4 pm, although you would be better to make your text consistent throughout and use the 24 hour clock as you have used this later in the same text.

Post Thanks / Like

"sporting activities" would be better than "sportive activities" and check what you mean by the term "schoolmaster". I think in this case you mean the most senior teacher in the school. If you do, you might consider using:

Headmaster or
    Headteacher (both British English)

or

Principal (American English)