• Post Thanks / Like

good with and good about

Hi there,

Just wondering if you could give me a couple of examples of sentences with the structure "good with". Is it ok if I say for instance "she was very good with me when I was a child".
    Is it Ok if I say "what is good about going to Spain is the good weather"
    Could you please give me an example of a sentence with the structure "good about"?

Thanks

Silvia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: good with and good about

Both of your examples are fine. Others:

She's good with children. He is good with horses. I am good with numbers (good at maths).

What's good about Spain is the food. What's good about England is the television.

You can also use "good about" like this:

"I broke a chair in the hotel, but the owner was very good about it." (Meaning that the owner didn't get angry or upset.)

"I've got an exam tomorrow, but I feel pretty good about it." (Meaning that I'm not worried.)

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Is it possible to say "I am good with maths". If not, why can you say that you are good with numbers but not with maths?

• Post Thanks / Like

It seems that "good with" and "good at" may be interchangeable in some cases.

I've seen people writing "I'm good with grammar" and "I'm good at grammar" - and the same with maths, languages, geography etc. I really don't know what the rule is.

But here's a rule (I think): If the word ends with "-ing", you have to use "at".

I'm good at running, he's good at drawing, she's good at swimming.