Thread: hey

o_cat Guest

Default hey

Hey,everyone and my favourate teachers! I have finally finished my boring examinations. Now I have some spare time, so I decide to translate some english articles. Could you please help me with my translating? Thank you!

Here is one question:

"In the world of entertainment, TV talk shows have undoubtedly flooded every inch of space on daytime television. And anyone who watches them regularly knows that each one varies in style and format. But no two shows are more profoundly opposite in content, while at the same time standing out above the rest, than the Jerry Springer and the Oprah Winfrey shows."

What does here But no two shows are more profoundly opposite in content mean?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hey

Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    "In the world of entertainment, TV talk shows have undoubtedly flooded every inch of space on daytime television. And anyone who watches them regularly knows that each one varies in style and format. But no two shows are more profoundly opposite in content, while at the same time standing out above the rest, than the Jerry Springer and the Oprah Winfrey shows."

flooded or filled??
    Jerry Springer is full of lowlife fighting and swearing, while Oprah's show is more civilised? I'm not sure here because I've never seen her show.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hey

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat

flooded or filled??
    Jerry Springer is full of lowlife fighting and swearing, while Oprah's show is more civilised? I'm not sure here because I've never seen her show.
    That's one way of putting it. Obviously, you have seen Jerry Springer's show. Oprah's show tends to be less confrontational and definitely less physical. Oprah's show is kind of like a soap opera, and Jerry's show is kind of like the WWF.

:wink:

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen Jerry- I don't know if we have Oprah here.