Thread: hey

o_cat Guest

hey

Hey,everyone and my favourate teachers! I have finally finished my boring examinations. Now I have some spare time, so I decide to translate some english articles. Could you please help me with my translating? Thank you!

Here is one question:

"In the world of entertainment, TV talk shows have undoubtedly flooded every inch of space on daytime television. And anyone who watches them regularly knows that each one varies in style and format. But no two shows are more profoundly opposite in content, while at the same time standing out above the rest, than the Jerry Springer and the Oprah Winfrey shows."

What does here But no two shows are more profoundly opposite in content mean?

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    When the writer says no two shows are more profoundly opposite in content, he is, I think, talking about what those two shows present to the viewer. The kinds of things they present to the viewer are very different. That is what I think that means.

How did your exams go?

:)

o_cat Guest
    Thank you.
    I hope I could get a good score. Since the result is not come out, what I can do is only to respect.

Ron, could you please correct this article for me?

The set of cartoon vividly depicts a boy running on a football ground. There is a line which is not the end but the start before him.And in my opinion,we can draw a deep meaning from it.

As the picture told us, we all run in a life long march. And as the caption says, the end is the new start. Now some graduated students are in the fear of losing job, as they are young, there is a justification for this feeling. But just as the picture described, we have finished our colleague studies, the current situation make us ponder our future existence. Maybe this is a new start before each of us.

In my opinion, yong men who have reason to fear frustration may feel bitter in the thought that they have missed some lovely things that life has to offer.But we should look forward, and finally there will be a brightly future in front of us.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    The set of cartoon vividly depicts a boy running on a football ground. There is a line which is not the end but the start before him.And in my opinion,we can draw a deep meaning from it.
    • The set of cartoons vividly depicts a boy running on a football ground.

Is there more than one cartoon? (In AE we would say football field.)

• There is a line which is not the end but the start before him.

I'm not sure what that means. Is there a line drawn on the ground? Is it directly in front of him? Is it at a distance?

• In my opinion,we can draw a deep meaning from it.

That sentence is better without the And.

As the picture told us, we all run in a life long march. And as the caption says, the end is the new start. Now some graduated students are in the fear of losing job, as they are young, there is a justification for this feeling. But just as the picture described, we have finished our colleague studies, the current situation make us ponder our future existence. Maybe this is a new start before each of us.
    • As the picture tells us, we all run in a life long march.

Well, you are either running or you are marching, but not both at the same time. Perhaps you can rewrite that.

• And as the caption says, the end is the new start.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Perhaps you can elaborate on that.

In my opinion, yong men who have reason to fear frustration may feel bitter in the thought that they have missed some lovely things that life has to offer.But we should look forward, and finally there will be a brightly future in front of us.
    Do you really feel that it is frustration that they fear, or are they afraid that they won't be able to achieve their goals? Say: bright future. You need to space after each period.

Because of laziness, there are some things I haven't yet commented on, but I plan to comment on each paragraph individually in subsequent posts.

Say: "I hope I get a good score. Since the results haven't come out yet, all I can do is hope."

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    First paragraph:

Perhaps:
    • The set of cartoons vividly depicts a boy running on a football ground. There is a line drawn on the ground in front of him, and it is not a finish line but a start line. In my opinion, we can draw a deep meaning from the picture.

What do you think?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Second paragraph:

• As the picture tells us, we are all in a race that lasts a lifetime. As the caption says, the end of one race is the start of another. Some who have graduated from college are fearful of losing their jobs, and , as they are young, there is some justification for that feeling.

We have finished our college studies, and the current situation makes us ponder our futures. Maybe it is a new start for each of us.

• We should look forward to the future, because we have a bright future ahead of us.

Fear is about the future, but bitterness is about the past.