Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default "I think you ugly" Question!

    Hi I am new, but I have a question.

    A teacher wrote on the board the sentence "I think you ugly." and says it's gramatically correct.

    Is it really correct? It sounds so wrong, but he insists it is.

    If it's right or wrong, can I get an explanation as to why? Thank you!

  2. #2
    Philly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "I think you ugly" Question!

    Hi
    .
    Yes, that is a possible way to use think. It's similar to the structure of the following sentences:
    I find her beautiful.
    I consider my teacher clever.
    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "I think you ugly" Question!

    It's correct, but not usual to use "think" that way.

    Using "find" and "consider" for sentences like that is much more common. The example your teacher gave sounds archaic to me. Although you might hear that sort of thing in a Three Musketeers movie:

    "I think you rude, sir! We will duel tomorrow!"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "I think you ugly" Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi
    .
    Yes, that is a possible way to use think. It's similar to the structure of the following sentences:
    I find her beautiful.
    I consider my teacher clever.
    .
    It is possible, but I think it's fair to say that this form (with 'think') is becoming archaic in practice. By the way, it's worth pointing out that the underlying structure is "I think you (to be) ugly".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "I think you ugly" Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by BboySeoul View Post
    Hi I am new, but I have a question.

    A teacher wrote on the board the sentence "I think you ugly." and says it's gramatically correct.

    Is it really correct? It sounds so wrong, but he insists it is.

    If it's right or wrong, can I get an explanation as to why? Thank you!
    It may be gramatically correct from a technical perspective; however, a person that used that phrase while speaking would be viewed as poorly educated - "I think you are ugly" - is much more commonly used and also sounds much better.

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "I think you ugly" Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by BboySeoul View Post
    Hi I am new, but I have a question.

    A teacher wrote on the board the sentence "I think you ugly." and says it's gramatically correct.

    Is it really correct? It sounds so wrong, but he insists it is.

    If it's right or wrong, can I get an explanation as to why? Thank you!
    I think you're teacher was trying to shock you by showing you something that looks wrong but could be used. I have met a number of ESL teachers on forums who are fond of using obscure points of language to impress their students. I do not favor that approach to language education.

    I doubt you will ever hear "I think you ugly" used by NES.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "I think you ugly" Question!

    Thanks for the help!

    Do you think it would even be correct to use a sentence like this in today's world though? I mean, it's technically correct, but since you won't find it anywhere except movies and books set in an old age, is it really correct to use it nowadays, let alone teach it?

    I tried to tell my friend that even if it's grammatically correct, it's still wrong in the sense that it's not used anymore, and people will even think you're stupid if you try to use a sentence like this. It shouldn't really be taught is what I think.

    Thanks for your help everyone!

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "I think you ugly" Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by BboySeoul View Post
    Thanks for the help!

    Do you think it would even be correct to use a sentence like this in today's world though? I mean, it's technically correct, but since you won't find it anywhere except movies and books set in an old age, is it really correct to use it nowadays, let alone teach it?

    I tried to tell my friend that even if it's grammatically correct, it's still wrong in the sense that it's not used anymore, and people will even think you're stupid if you try to use a sentence like this. It shouldn't really be taught is what I think.

    Thanks for your help everyone!
    I don't think you'll find that sentence anywhere.

Similar Threads

  1. Question about answer, reply,take care ...
    By JJD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2006, 03:24
  2. Types of question
    By Jupiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 11:33
  3. Answering a question with a question
    By Sarah Shaw-Gray in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2006, 13:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk