Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    The president of Harvard College

    Dear teachers,

    As the Chinese translation for "the president of Harvard College" would be different from "the president of Harvard University",
    I need to know precisely whether they are the same position, and which of them would be the one in the following sentence:

    "As early as 1642, before the term political science was coined, Henry Dunster, president of Harvard College, added to the curriculum a course on ethics and politics."

    And the same question applies to "the president of Yale College" in:

    "In the mid-19th century the president of Yale College, Theodore Dwight Woolsey, introduced a course in political philosophy into the school."

    Many thanks from Eway, who's never been to Harvard or Yale...

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harvard College and Harvard University are two separate institutions. The same is true of Yale College and Yale Univerity.

    :)

  3. #3
    Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Harvard College and Harvard University are two separate institutions. The same is true of Yale College and Yale Univerity.

    :)
    Are the two colleges under the two universities, as part of their administrative set up ? :wink:

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Harvard College and Harvard University are two separate institutions. The same is true of Yale College and Yale Univerity.

    :)
    Are the two colleges under the two universities, as part of their administrative set up ? :wink:
    Apparently, Harvard College is part of Harvard University.


  5. #5
    Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Harvard College and Harvard University are two separate institutions. The same is true of Yale College and Yale Univerity.

    :)
    Are the two colleges under the two universities, as part of their administrative set up ? :wink:
    Apparently, Harvard College is part of Harvard University.

    Right, thanks! :)

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Harvard College and Harvard University are two separate institutions. The same is true of Yale College and Yale Univerity.

    :)
    Are the two colleges under the two universities, as part of their administrative set up ? :wink:
    Apparently, Harvard College is part of Harvard University.

    Right, thanks! :)
    You're welcome.

    :D

Similar Threads

  1. College Entrance Essay
    By seancky2 in forum CVs, Resumes and Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2004, 02:40
  2. A college paper
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2004, 06:25
  3. class president (please read this, Wai Wai)
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2004, 14:04
  4. Bushisms - US President Proves How Difficult English Really
    By Red5 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2004, 18:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •