Thread: at face value

Post Thanks / Like

Default at face value

Hi, some questions guys, I need again your help
    1)"At face value, it implies that if Germany cut its corporate-tax burden by 25%, as its goverment intends, wages ought eventually to rise by fifth."
    What does "face value" mean?
    2) "Bur nor does the burden of corporate taxation falls squarelly on affluent shareholders"
    does this mean that not only rich shareholders are burdened by the corp.tax but also workers, etc...

3)"It is hard to believe that enough changes within 5 years to affect wages as much as Mr Hassett and Ms Mathur report" - I think this sentence is not completely written but it ought to be right

4) More likely, the negative link between corporate tax and wages reflect the omission, or mismeasurement, of other thinks that affect pay
    - how do you understan this,
    and last
    5) In today's world, high taxes on companies hurt the "little people"(e.g. worker) they are supposed to pleasure
    It means that taxes consern most the worker and the second part, I dont know how to explain it.
    Last edited by me78; 30-Sep-2006 at 14:55.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: at face value

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    Hi, some questions guys, I need again your help
    1)"At face value, it implies that if Germany cut its corporate-tax burden by 25%, as its goverment intends, wages ought eventually to rise by fifth."
    What does "face value" mean?
    It means "apparent significance". It leaves open the possibility that there is a deeper meaning.

2) "Bur nor does the burden of corporate taxation falls squarelly on affluent shareholders"
    does this mean that not only rich shareholders are burdened by the corp.tax but also workers, etc...
    Probably. The sentence should read: ...but nor does the burden of corporate taxation fall squarely on affluent shareholders. If the meaning is as you suggest, "only" would be better than "squarely".

3)"It is hard to believe that enough changes within 5 years to affect wages as much as Mr Hassett and Ms Mathur report" - I think this sentence is not completely written but it ought to be right
    It is not a sentence; there is no main verb in the second clause. You could add "will/would occur" after "changes".

4) More likely, the negative link between corporate tax and wages reflect the omission, or mismeasurement, of other thinks that affect pay
    - how do you understan this,
    It appears to say that the observed effect of wages going down as corporate tax increases may depend on other factors that affect pay. This, however, seems to be in opposition to previous statements.

and last
    5) In today's world, high taxes on companies hurt the "little people"(e.g. worker) they are supposed to pleasure
    It means that taxes consern most the worker and the second part, I dont know how to explain it.
    I would not use "pleasure" there. Try "help".

It means that raising taxes on companies is suppopsed to help the common man (by lowering the common man's taxes) but it ends up hurting him (probably by lowering his wages).

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

just one more question that wasn't answered:
    What do the red words mean:
    "shwashbuckling former president of...., a sprawling internet company, who pleaded not quilty to fraud charges. The tug-of-war going to go away may continue for some time
    thanks

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    just one more question that wasn't answered:
    What do the red words mean:
    "swashbuckling former president of...., a sprawling internet company, who pleaded not quilty to fraud charges. The tug-of-war going to go away may continue for some time
    thanks
    A swashbuckler is a flamboyant fighter like the pirates in the old movies.

sprawling = very large
    fraud = dishonesty, especially in financial matters
    tug-of-war = is a game in which two sides pull on opposite ends of a rope. The image here is that the issue will go back and forth.