Thread: defect

Post Thanks / Like

Default defect

Hi guys, some questions I don't understand
    1)Managers who recently defected to MAN know....
    What does this mean?
    2) to reap the benefit of economies of scale means to gain advantages, don't it
    3) the word "carbonemission" in connection with truck business, some standard in the North American Free Trade Area
    Last edited by me78; 30-Sep-2006 at 17:18.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: defect

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    Hi Mike, because you are only answering, thatswhy a question to you:
    What does this mean?
    3) the word "carbonemission" in connection with truck business, some standard in the North American Free Trade Area
    1: Context? If it's anything to do with computer networks, a MAN ia a 'Metropolitan Area Network' - bigger than a LAN ('Local ~~') and smaller than a WAN ('Wide ~~'). (There are also TANs -Tiny - and SANs - Storage.)

2:

3 "carbon emission" is two words. In connection with the truck business (and any activity that involves the burning of fossil fuels) it refers to the generation of waste gases such as CO and CO2. In NAFTA, and various other parts of the world, this is regulated - for example, in the UK the road tax is higher on a vehicle that produces higher emissions).

b

PS A 'manager who defects to MAN' - if the network context is right - would be one who used to use a LAN (say, when his company fitted in a single building) but changed to a MAN when the company expanded).
    Last edited by BobK; 30-Sep-2006 at 17:28. Reason: Added clarification re 3, and PS

Post Thanks / Like

thanks bob, the first one is about MAN-company:German truckmaker
    and one more question, what does it mean
    He thinks Scania (company) is better off on its own

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, some questions I don't understand
    What does this mean?
    1) Since another question has connections to the 'truck business', I'd assume MAN means 'The MAN-group', a large European auto-vehicle holding business?

'Defected to...' means that they left their current employer, and joined the 'MAN-group'. The term carries a connotation of betrayal, as in a 'defector from the Soviet Union to the West' during the Cold War.

2) It is normally expressed in the plural: 'reap the benefits of economies of scale'. It's an economic term that borrows from a farming analogy, obviously - you 'reap' rewards for what you 'sow'. In this case, you invest ('sow') in large production capacity, and you gain benefits/advantages through lower unit costs (each 'thing' you make costs less, because the overheads in its production are spread over many individual 'things').

3) The word is compound: 'carbon-emission'. Most of our fuels are derived from carbon compounds (mainly coal and oil). When carbon burns ('oxidises'), it gives off carbon dioxide (CO2). There is much fuss about this in the world, because excessive carbon dioxide emission causes the atmosphere of planets to overheat (see Venus, for example). I'm not a chemist, so I won't attempt any more chemistry .

Anyway, the guys in charge of us all want to pretend to do something about this by pretending to limit the 'carbon-emission' of vehicles. Occasionally, they finish drinking and eating long enough to issue "An Agreement" (like the Kyoto Agreement). This is an AmE version of the word 'agreement', where everyone who makes no difference to the problem agrees, and the American government doesn't .

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Coffa, a good english humor
    what does it mean, if you look the previos posting:
    "Scania is better off on its own"
    and he rejected (reflect?)a previous advance by MAN. This could be the trickiest and the last battle at Scanie

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

and he rejected (reflect?)a previous advance by MAN. This could be the trickiest and the last battle at Scanie
    "Rejected a previous advance" means turned down a previous offer to work there.

trickiest (in this context) = the most difficult, requiring the most skill

Post Thanks / Like

I've just read Mike's reply, but I'm not sure he's got the correct context.

My reading would be:

"Scania is better off on its own" - Scania (another European truck company BTW) would do better for its shareholders right now by remaining independent than by merging with, or being acquired by, a larger rival.

"He rejected a previous advance by MAN" - I read 'he' as the Managing Director of Scania, who repulsed (fought off) a previous hostile takeover bid by MAN.

"This could be the trickiest and the last battle at Scania." - It could be the last because it is the battle to gain the best deal for a takeover of the company; the trickiest because the Board of Directors must judge when is the best time to accept a rival's bid, rather than continue to trade, in the hope of gaining a better deal.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    I've just read Mike's reply, but I'm not sure he's got the correct context.

My reading would be:

"Scania is better off on its own" - Scania (another European truck company BTW) would do better for its shareholders right now by remaining independent than by merging with, or being acquired by, a larger rival.

"He rejected a previous advance by MAN" - I read 'he' as the Managing Director of Scania, who repulsed (fought off) a previous hostile takeover bid by MAN.

"This could be the trickiest and the last battle at Scania." - It could be the last because it is the battle to gain the best deal for a takeover of the company; the trickiest because the Board of Directors must judge when is the best time to accept a rival's bid, rather than continue to trade, in the hope of gaining a better deal.
    I was relating it to the "defected to Man" line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I was relating it to the "defected to Man" line.
    That line requires the context of the previous sentence, particularly as both lines contain the name of the company 'Scania' (typos notwithstanding).

But if I'm wrong, fair enough.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    That line requires the context of the previous sentence, particularly as both lines contain the name of the company 'Scania' (typos notwithstanding).

But if I'm wrong, fair enough.
    Same here. I just wanted you to know where I got it. You are probably correct.