Post Thanks / Like

Default is it useful to teach with visual material?(videos)

hi everyone, I teach english in Chile and I use the new interchange levels, I use the audio CD included in the student's book. I was wondering if using videos in the class would be helpful for students, or would that be a waste of time?. they are adult learners and they're in level 1. if using videos is helpful would u recommend me something in particular? (films, documentaries, music videos)
    I also would like to thank mr tdol for his effort in posting and replying almost all the threads in this forum. thanx a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: is it useful to teach with visual material?(videos)

I think videos are a great teaching tool. However, using them in class can waste a lot of time.

Another alternative is to have your students signup for a free website like www.coolhood.com. On this site you can create an online class, and then have your students join the class. The site also has different video files and other study material that your students can do, and all of the results are reported to you directly.

Personally I've been using coolhood with my EFP classes and the results have been good. You get the occasional student that is slow to signup, but generally most students appreciate the extra study time. And it really doesn't eat up any of my time, which is good cause I don't have much extra to give.

Post Thanks / Like

hi kishwa thanks a lot for replying my question. I'll try the page one of these days. by the way, is it free to sign up, or there's any fee?
    I'd like to know more about you, I see you are a teacher but where do you teach, which country? where are you from? are you m or f?
    I'll introduce myself. Ricardo from Chile, I teach in Santiago, I'm 25 years old, I love teaching adults, I hope to meet new people in this forum and today's my birthday.
    see ya

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ricardo,

My name is Jeff. I taught in South Korea for a few years, but now I teach English for Professionals in Toronto. Most of my students are full time working people that recently immigrated. They are fun to work with because they are very determined to learn.

As for the coolhood website, yes it is free for both you and your students.

Very nice to meet you.