• Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Name for a job

Hallo!

I would like to ask you how to name a specific job in English which I'll try to describe the best I can. It's someone, usually a man, who does stuff related with fixing things in electrical installations, plumbing, painting and so on. He does small jobs at people's homes, he's good at solving problem situations in people's homes. I think the word "Builder " is not the best neither construction worker neither plumber because he does a bit of this and that..
    Thanks
    Isabel Neves

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Name for a job

Quote Originally Posted by isabel neves View Post
    Hallo!

I would like to ask you how to name a specific job in English which I'll try to describe the best I can. It's someone, usually a man, who does stuff related with fixing things in electrical installations, plumbing, painting and so on. He does small jobs at people's homes, he's good at solving problem situations in people's homes. I think the word "Builder " is not the best neither construction worker neither plumber because he does a bit of this and that..
    Thanks
    Isabel Neves
    It's 'handyman' or 'odd-job man'.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Name for a job

Quote Originally Posted by isabel neves View Post
    Hallo!

Thanks
    Isabel Neves
    In addition to Coffa's, I'd suggest 'caretaker' or 'janitor' (in an instutional context only - you have a 'school janitor', but you don't phone a janitor to fix a dripping tap in a private house).

b