• English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Also vs. too

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    I wonder whether your point is that the main verb must come first and then "also" because in many cases "also" is followed by the main verb.
    I'm not sure what your point is. You seem to be saying '[my point is]...the order is "V also" because in many cases the order is "also V"'. I'm lost - maybe I'm being very dense.

The position of "also" is fluid and causes problems - sometimes the 'also' applies to the word before it, sometimes to the word after it:

"I also want to say that this is a bad move" can have two meanings:

"I want to add my name to the list of people who've said...'

and

"In addition to what I've said before, I'd like to say..."

If it's important to avoid ambiguity, it's a good idea to paraphrase. But I don't know of any rule of thumb you can use to help with placing this word. (That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I haven't met it. )

b

ps -
    To add to the ambiguity, that sentence can be interpreted yet another way, if you put the stress on "say":

"I've already shown that this is a bad move, now I want to say it too."
    Last edited by BobK; 09-Oct-2006 at 14:38. Reason: Added ps

retro is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. You seem to be saying '[my point is]...the order is "V also" because in many cases the order is "also V"'. I'm lost - maybe I'm being very dense.

The position of "also" is fluid and causes problems - sometimes the 'also' applies to the word before it, sometimes to the word after it:

"I also want to say that this is a bad move" can have two meanings:

"I want to add my name to the list of people who've said...'

and

"In addition to what I've said before, I'd like to say..."

If it's important to avoid ambiguity, it's a good idea to paraphrase. But I don't know of any rule of thumb you can use to help with placing this word. (That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I haven't met it. )

b

ps -
    To add to the ambiguity, that sentence can be interpreted yet another way, if you put the stress on "say":

"I've already shown that this is a bad move, now I want to say it too."

Hi Bob!

I look it up in my Dictionary (Oxford), which says "also" usually comes before the main verb, but after "be" if this is the main verb.
    So, I think that's why you prefered "many of these were also able" to "many of these also were able."

Anyway, in "Nevertheless, many of these too were able to secure land and set up homesteads, either in the colonies in which they had originally settled or in neighboring ones." "too" refers to other people who managed to secure land etc.
    Last edited by retro; 12-Oct-2006 at 18:09.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    Hi Bob!

I look it up in my Dictionary (Oxford), which says "also" usually comes before the main verb, but after "be" if this is the main verb.
    So, I think that's why you prefered "many of these were also able" to "many of these also were able."

Anyway, in "Nevertheless, many of these too were able to secure land and set up homesteads, either in the colonies in which they had originally settled or in neighboring ones." "too" refers to other people who managed to secure land etc.
    Thanks for the dictionary reference - that works for me.

b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2