Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default as if/as though?

    Hi all again...I have learned that as if/as though must be used for unreal situations..For example, "He treats us as if we were his children...(But we are not his children)"...But i have read a sentence just before and i'm exactly confused now...Pls help me...The sentence was that:

    -You look as if you are tired. (You are tired now---a real situation)

    I wonder whether we can use "as if" in the sentence above or not...Thank you all...

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Quote Originally Posted by satara42 View Post
    Hi all again...I have learned that as if/as though must be used for unreal situations..For example, "He treats us as if we were his children...(But we are not his children)"...But i have read a sentence just before and i'm exactly confused now...Pls help me...The sentence was that:

    -You look as if you are tired. (You are tired now---a real situation)

    I wonder whether we can use "as if" in the sentence above or not...Thank you all...
    I would not use that sentence. If the situation is real enough for the indicative it can be stated:

    You look tired.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Thank you Mike...but what about "The teacher is shouting at us as if he is very angry"?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Or "The cat sounds as if it is hungry"?

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Quote Originally Posted by satara42 View Post
    Thank you Mike...but what about "The teacher is shouting at us as if he is very angry"?
    Again, the speaker or writer is the one who decides if the situation is real or unreal.

    If the speaker/writer believes that the teacher is angry, then: The teacher is shouting angrily at us.

    If the speaker writer nelieves that the teacher is feigning anger, then: The teacher is shouting at us as if he were angry.

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Quote Originally Posted by satara42 View Post
    Or "The cat sounds as if it is hungry"?
    The cat sounds hungry.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Again, the speaker or writer is the one who decides if the situation is real or unreal.

    If the speaker/writer believes that the teacher is angry, then: The teacher is shouting angrily at us.

    If the speaker writer nelieves that the teacher is feigning anger, then: The teacher is shouting at us as if he were angry.

    OK OK OK...Thank you very much MikeNY!!! I'm going to burn the other book also...

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Quote Originally Posted by satara42 View Post
    OK OK OK...Thank you very much MikeNY!!! I'm going to burn the other book also...
    You might want to keep the second one. Those are venial sins. Others might find them acceptable.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Hi,
    Please have a look at this one:
    I feel as you donít love me any more.
    Yes, Satara, if the comparison is real we do use the Indicative. Sure enough, itís interesting to learn how native speakers use those patterns nowadays.
    Rgs

  10. #10
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: as if/as though?

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    Please have a look at this one:
    I feel as you donít love me any more.
    Yes, Satara, if the comparison is real we do use the Indicative. Sure enough, itís interesting to learn how native speakers use those patterns nowadays.
    Rgs
    Wouldn't that be better as: "I feel (that) you don't love me anymore"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •