Post Thanks / Like

Default impressions of trip to Warsaw. (check, please)

I've written a short text. I tried to translate it from Russian as close to original style as possible. The problem is that I don't know if it possible to understand what I meant in my text and if it is grammatically correct.
    Could you please check the text below?
    Thank you.
    ----------------------------
    What I saw during my trip:
    Warsaw. At least, part of it.
    Hugely tall buildings. About 6 items.
    A couple of parks. I liked them because they are large and beautiful.
    One zoo. I liked there the way how it is made that you can see animals without any grille and monkeys that were running and jumping on ropes and trees.
    A couple of hypermarkets. There are nothing special. They are almost like ones in Minsk. The only difference is they are bigger.
    A horrified tourist attraction - the market on a stadium. I knew that it is exists but I didn't know how awful it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: impressions of trip to Warsaw. (check, please)

I assume that you don't need a very formal letter, but I altered the text a bit by grouping into sentences, as the previous format was a bit too artificial. But generally, I tried to stick to the original text as much as possible...

During my trip to Warsaw, I saw impressively tall buildings, about 6 of them, a couple of parks, which I liked because they were large and beautiful, and also a zoo. I liked the way the zoo is made, as there you can see animals without any bars obstructing the view. Monkeys were running and jumping on ropes and trees!

I also saw a couple of hypermarkets [did you mean supermarkets? Hypermarkets are usually found on the outskirts of a town]. They are nothing special; they are practically like the ones in Minsk, only bigger.

A horrible tourist attraction was the in-stadium market [I guess that would be the best choice of words, unless you're referring to a market built actually on a stadium, which I doubt!]. I knew that it exists but I didn't know how awful it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Mariner,
    Thank you very much for your answer. Practically, you confirmed my thought that I can't use my "style" when I'm writing in English. At least, I need to read more informal texts before I'll understand which "deviations" are acceptable :)
    Your two questions gave me a lot of work. I've done quite a research. :)
    I also saw a couple of hypermarkets [did you mean supermarkets? Hypermarkets are usually found on the outskirts of a town]
    At least, King's Cross is called hypermarket in spite of the fact that it is placed not only within the town's boarders but in so called Centrum (Center).
    This (King's Cross) is another of the new malls that have opened up in the last few years. It offeres a massive hypermarket (100 cash registers) as well as several dozen other shops, a food court and all the other extras.
    The same place is called Géant on page in Wikitravel:
    Géant ul. Jubilerska 1/3. Hypermarket.
    Actually, I saw title "Geant King's Cross" on the building.
    Another shop that I visited was Carrefour in the very center of Warsaw. Carrefour owns a bunch of hyper- and supermarkets in Poland and I haven't managed to find out how that specific store is called.
    Actually, it is not easy for me to decide how every specific store should be called. We use the same word in our country but it seems to me that they are used more as a advertising tricks rather than to give a correct name to the things. Also it seems to me, both King's Cross and Carrefour those I visited match with definition of "hypermarket" in Wikipedia
    a hypermarket is a superstore which combines a supermarket and a department store
    Regarding the next point...
    the in-stadium market [I guess that would be the best choice of words, unless you're referring to a market built actually on a stadium, which I doubt!]
    Unfortunately, I don't understand the difference between "in-stadium market" and "market built on a stadium" :( Could you please tell me what is the difference?
    It is described as follows
    the Asian market on the top of the now-unused sports stadium (Stadion X-lecia).

Built in the 1950s on WWII rubble, Stadion Dziesięciolecia now serves as Warsaw’s most eccentric attraction, and is a must for anthropologists and anyone interested in counterfeit slippers. Dubbed the Russian Market, the decrepit stadium and its immediate surrounds became the focus of thousands of traders the moment communism collapsed.

It is required additional effort to describe that place in my own words... The bowl of stadium is not occupied by the market (it's hardly possible to conduct any sport actions). But all surrounding passageways and big area are occupied by the market.
    Also, you can take a look at the photo of the stadium. You may see there other photos but only the first and the second are real photos others are sketches of a feature plans as far as I understand. There are no close-up photos because it's something special that is not very attractive. Big hangars in the center on the photo foreground are used for trading too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I now understand what you meant regarding the stadium market.

In this case, the best way to form the sentence would be like this:

"A horrible tourist attraction was the Russian Market, in Stadion Dziesięciolecia"

You could either start describing it (by using the description you found in the website you quoted from) or just leave it as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Mariner, thanks a lot :)