Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question How to start a presentation

    Hello.

    Imagine you have an interview. You are to start a short PowerPoint presentation--what would be your first sentence?

    I would really appreciate your reply!

    Best wishes,
    Nyggus

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to start a presentation

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Hello.

    Imagine you have an interview. You are to start a short PowerPoint presentation--what would be your first sentence?

    I would really appreciate your reply!

    Best wishes,
    Nyggus
    How about: First, I'd like to introduce myself.

  3. #3
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to start a presentation

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    How about: First, I'd like to introduce myself.
    Thanks, MikeNewYork. Well, this is not a bad start... So, you say that in such a situation I don't have to start my talk like I start my letters ("Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam" or something like that)? Actually, this is my main puzzle .

    Best,
    Nyggus

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to start a presentation

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Thanks, MikeNewYork. Well, this is not a bad start... So, you say that in such a situation I don't have to start my talk like I start my letters ("Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam" or something like that)? Actually, this is my main puzzle .

    Best,
    Nyggus
    I see no reason for that type of salutation.

  5. #5
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to start a presentation

    It depends upon the subject of your presentation, and on your audience. Are these co-workers whom you know? Or a group of folks you've never met? If your audience is completely unfamiliar, it's best to be straight and to the point: "Good morning (or afternoon), everyone, I'm ____________, and I'm pleased to present to you.....(and then briefly describe the subject of your Powerpoint presentation)."

  6. #6
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: How to start a presentation

    Thanks MikeNewYork and Ouisch. Hopefully it will be fine!

    Best wishes,
    Nyggus

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to start a presentation

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Thanks MikeNewYork and Ouisch. Hopefully it will be fine!

    Best wishes,
    Nyggus
    You're welcome.

  8. #8
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to start a presentation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    It depends upon the subject of your presentation, and on your audience. Are these co-workers whom you know? Or a group of folks you've never met? If your audience is completely unfamiliar, it's best to be straight and to the point: "Good morning (or afternoon), everyone, I'm ____________, and I'm pleased to present to you.....(and then briefly describe the subject of your Powerpoint presentation)."
    In addition, I'd add that I've often been in the audience for presentations to co-workers (but in a company with tens of thousands on the pay-roll), in which the first screen of the presentation would show title of pres., date, author, and maybe some indication of the author's role and/or credentials. At trade shows and conferences this was even more common.

    I've never used one, but PowerPoint might itself supply a template.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. Get off to a start
    By Lukys in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2007, 19:28
  2. Please check my self evaluation memo
    By bbmak in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Aug-2006, 12:05
  3. [Proofread] Presentation at school 2/5
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2005, 07:55
  4. English Presentation (for an Examination) Eurocom
    By TyCore in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2005, 09:09
  5. (Ver 2) First, firstly, initially, start, beginning
    By Wai_Wai in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2004, 22:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •