Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    eric2004 Guest

Default Sir Ron, long time no see!

i've been ready to collect my visa's materials these days and had to travel to other places, so didn't log to here for a long time.
    Nice to see you stay here and help other english leaners.
    Now i've got all my things done and most happily seen the gradual fall of exchange rate of AUD VS. American dollar, because China RMB has a very close connection with Dollar.
    so if American economy can boom again very soon, not only you can enjoy happy lives, but i as well as all of chinese overseas students would feel happy.

Btw, 21, Jan is the Spring Festival of China, the most important festival for Chinese,like your Christmas Eve, so here I hope you can enjoy the same excitement and happiness as me.

Chinese will say "Happy New Year!" that day, which is called the Lunar Year!. Have you heard of this noun., Sir.?

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron will be happy to be called Sir Ron.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sir Ron, long time no see!

Happy Chinese New Year!

AUD = Australian dollar?
    RMB = renminbi?

It's good to see you back. I had been wondering what had happened to you.

:)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sir Ron, long time no see!

Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    i've been ready to collect my visa's materials these days and had to travel to other places, so didn't log to here for a long time.
    I think you mean visa materials. Are planning to visit Australia?

Nice to see you stay here and help other english leaners.
    Now i've got all my things done and most happily seen the gradual fall of exchange rate of AUD VS. American dollar, because China RMB has a very close connection with Dollar.
    I think the renminbi is pegged to the dollar.

so if American economy can boom again very soon, not only you can enjoy happy lives, but i as well as all of chinese overseas students would feel happy.
    The American economy is doing rather nicely right now, and it looks like it is going to continue to improve.

Btw, 21, Jan is the Spring Festival of China, the most important festival for Chinese,like your Christmas Eve, so here I hope you can enjoy the same excitement and happiness as me.
    In some American cities with substantial Chinese populations they have parades and shoot off firecrackers, etc.

They call it the Spring Festival? But spring is two months away. :wink:

Chinese will say "Happy New Year!" that day, which is called the Lunar Year!. Have you heard of this noun., Sir.?
    Yes.

[Edited to fix a typo.]

eric2004 Guest

Sigh, Sir Ron, actually I'm not happy in this special holiday, because I find now I can't logon all of overseas forbidden websites where often publish a great many negtive news in regard to Communists' events.
    Before that I usually used a special communicating tool or a foreign proxy server to visit those websites and I'd known many things that most of common Chinese can never know.
    Unfortunately, all of them can't work out now.
    And I learnt that China government have begun strengthening the extent of news bloackade.
    Here I'll show you some information about that.
    In China you even can't type "democracy" or "freedom" in many famous chatrooms or searching engine, let alone discussing political topics.
    Also, the Internet policemen would try their best to monitor any conncetion out from China and spy who you'll communiate with or what you will watch.
    Much evilest, they would pretend and make up some proxy servers for the people like me who wanna view overseas news, so that they can be easier to control local Chinese as well as arrest these "illegal" viewers.

What an ugly and foul country China is. I hope heartfully that I'm able to escape from here soon.
    Or I may be arrested by them too.

Btw, now I know it's called "peg" to describe the relation between Renminbe and Dollar.( xixi. Sir, your pronounciation is amazingly correct. this is its chinese character"人民币“. very ironically, it means "people's money")

We call that "Spring Festival" because it's the first day of a new "Lunar Year" in Eastern Asia. which is always later than the Gregorian Calendar.
    As fas as "Spring", I'm not sure about it, but I guess it's because this holiday may be in February of some years, so that's very closed to the March, Spring.
    So it means after this holiday the Spring will come to the world soon.
    Tomorrow is the last day of Lunar Year 2003 and all of Chinese will celebrate and wait for the new year.
    Wish your American guys as well as all of people here happy and joyful in the next year.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions/corrections will be in blue.

Sigh, Sir Ron, actually I'm not happy in this special holiday, because I find now I can't logon all of overseas forbidden websites where often publish a great many negtive news in regard to Communists' events.

• Sigh, Sir Ron, actually I'm not happy in this special holiday, because I find now that I can't logon to any of the forbidden overseas websites which often publish a great deal of negative news in regard to Communists' events.

So you want to be able to access those websites, but you can't?

Before that I usually used a special communicating tool or a foreign proxy server to visit those websites and I'd known many things that most of common Chinese can never know.
    • Before that I usually used a special communicating tool or a foreign proxy server to visit those websites, and I'd found out about things that are the kind of things most Chinese never do find out about.

(In addition to found out about you could also say learned or, perhaps, discovered.)

You must be quite knowledgeable about computers. I don't think I would know how to do that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, all of them can't work out now.
    • Unfortunately, none of those methods work right now.

And I learnt that China government have begun strengthening the extent of news bloackade.
    • And I learned that the Chinese government has been strengthening the extent of the news bloackade.

Or:
    • And I learned that the Chinese government has been broadening the news blockade.

Fascinating. They must want people not to know certain things. (I realize that is not a brilliant analysis.)

Here I'll show you some information about that.
    • I'll tell you something about that.

(Normally, one doesn't show information, although people quite often reveal information. (It doesn't make sense to me either.)

In China you even can't type "democracy" or "freedom" in many famous chatrooms or searching engine, let alone discussing political topics.
    • In China you even can't type "democracy" or "freedom" in many well-known chatrooms or search engines, let alone discuss political topics.

Wow!

:(

Also, the Internet policemen would try their best to monitor any conncetion out from China and spy who you'll communiate with or what you will watch.
    Also, the Internet policemen would do their best to monitor any connection out of China and discover who you'll communiate with or what you watch.

Geez!

:(

Much evilest, they would pretend and make up some proxy servers for the people like me who wanna view overseas news, so that they can be easier to control local Chinese as well as arrest these "illegal" viewers.
    • Much evilest, they would pretend to be offering a legitimate service and make up some proxy servers for the people like me who wanna view overseas news, so it is easier to control local Chinese as well as arrest these "illegal" viewers.

Much evilest isn't exactly standard English, but I rather like it. However, for something that is more like standard English, try worst of all. (Of course, wanna would usually be want to, at least in formal writing.)

What an ugly and foul country China is. I hope heartfully that I'm able to escape from here soon.
    Or I may be arrested by them too.
    China is the world's largest country. It is also the largest country that is not a democracy. :(

At least you don't have Howard Dean.

:wink:

Btw, now I know it's called "peg" to describe the relation between Renminbe and Dollar.( xixi.
    Yes, that's the term they use, at least in news articles. There might be another, more formal term, but I am not sure what it is.

Sir, your pronounciation is amazingly correct. this is its chinese character"人民币“. very ironically, it means "people's money")
    Well, it is the People's Republic of China. I'm not sure what you mean there by pronunciation. Anyhow, you can find out a lot on the Internet. (I used Onelook.)

We call that "Spring Festival" because it's the first day of a new "Lunar Year" in Eastern Asia. which is always later than the Gregorian Calendar.
    As fas as "Spring", I'm not sure about it, but I guess it's because this holiday may be in February of some years, so that's very closed to the March, Spring.
    Maybe calling it the "Spring Festival" makes you feel warmer. :wink:

(Say: "close to")

How are you doing? I bet you are feeling better than I am. (I have a cold.) :(

Take care.

So it means after this holiday the Spring will come to the world soon.
    Tomorrow is the last day of Lunar Year 2003 and all of Chinese will celebrate and wait for the new year.
    Wish your American guys as well as all of people here happy and joyful in the next year.
    2003? But that's the Western calendar. Isn't the Chinese year much older than that?

:?

I wish freedom and prosperity for all Chinese people.

Hong Kong Chinese Guest

Default Thank you, Sir Ron

Hello everyone! Happy Chinese New Year!

Ronbee:

I should call you Sir Ron as Eric who hates the communist Chinese so much!

As native Chinese, I know that we use the moon to count our days, therefore we call the Chinese New Year as Lunar New Year , as opposed to Christians who use the Sun to count their days. I think, we should call the occidental calendar as Solar calendar.

This year, we call it the Year of Monkey!

My lunar New Year’s Resolution is that none of the people does any monkey business.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have a year with no monkeying around.

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Chinese New Year!

Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thank you, Sir Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Chinese
    As native Chinese, I know that we use the moon to count our days, therefore we call the Chinese New Year as Lunar New Year , as opposed to Christians who use the Sun to count their days. I think, we should call the occidental calendar as Solar calendar.
    That is indeed what it is. It's a solar calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Chinese
    This year, we call it the Year of Monkey!

My lunar New Year’s Resolution is that none of the people does any monkey business.
    I would say something in response to that, but Tdol already took the best line.

:wink:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast