Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    eric2004 Guest

Glad seeing you all here!
    Tonight is the Lantern Festival of China, called.....,(don't know how to explain, whatever, which is another important festival for all of Chinese)
    Hope you can enjoy it with Chinese in America tomorrow).

Sir tdol, thanks for that you explained it for me. So it's a noun. right? Hmm, an oral word? I prefer getting more and more slang words of English, which enables me to better understand foreign movies and news.
    (The journalists of CNN or BBC seem like enjoying using those kind of words,which has been troubled me a lot.)

Sir Ron, xixi, I was able to watch movies because I could get them from pirate stuff, downloading such as movies, softwares or other things. Please don't blame on me. I know it's very very vulgar, shameless and even law-breaking for you, but most of Chinese are so poor compared to you guys that we'd never have enough money to afford such entertainment activities by means of legal approach.
    Btw, I have to say that pirate industry is becoming rather booming and strong now, we can get whatever we want from some special websites for free.

Chinese buddy, thanks for the explanation of Monkey business. Your English is so great that let me envy you a little :wink: . It's my honor to know you.
    And meeting 同胞 here could also give me a big surprise, especially you're far maturer than me.
    Yep, I'm a cynic and often called it by my friends. Sigh, but it's only because I can't help pointing at where is the wrong we Chinese are making.
    Now all I can do is nearly help Taiwanese for supporting their independence. I can totally understand why they don't wanna reunite with us. And it would be a horrible thing if Mainland China invades Taiwan,where we Chinese can only enjoy the freedom and democracy, using the excuse of Taiwanese's thirst for independence.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/as...ina/index.html
    It's a vote option for that.

Everybody here, best of wishes for you coz you're really really kind and generous to our helpless English learners, like me.
    I would remeber all you helped me out before I passed Ielts exam. I'm so appreciated for that.

Like Hongkong buddy said, have a fruitful year in 2004.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a good Lantern Festival. Here are some really good sites for slang:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Sl...olloquialisms/

Urban Dictionary and the Dictionary of Playground slang are both excellent sources that are very up-to-date.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I visited the website you posted a link to. Hopefully, things will eventually turn out well for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    . I'm so appreciated for that.
    Say: "I'm appreciative of that." (The above quote says the opposite.)

:wink:

:)

~RonBee

:)

Hong Kong Chinese Guest

Default In reply to Eric

Hi buddy! Long time no see!

Chinese buddy, thanks for the explanation of Monkey business. Your English is so great that let me envy you a little . It's my honor to know you.
    And meeting 同胞(compatriots) here could also give me a big surprise, especially you're far maturer than me.
    Yep, I'm a cynic and often called it by my friends. Sigh, but it's only because I can't help pointing at where is the wrong we Chinese are making.
    Now all I can do is nearly help Taiwanese for supporting their independence. I can totally understand why they don't wanna reunite with us. And it would be a horrible thing if Mainland China invades Taiwan,where we Chinese can only enjoy the freedom and democracy, using the excuse of Taiwanese's thirst for independence.
    I am sorry that you must have been waiting too long for my reply. First of all, thanks for your compliments.

It is not necessary to envy my English fluency because I think you can do it gradually by insisting reading any books in English every day. By and by your English will improve. For my case, I like reading best-seller American fictions. I admire cynics – only them can change the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The teenage pregnancy rate in the States is very high when compared to Europe, though that is down to inactivity here.
    The teenage pregnancy has been becoming a problem in China in recent years. Our political books 'explain' the reason for this, 'It's because of the corrupt thoughts brought in from the west countries since the reforming and opening-up of China'.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

PS- I'd say The teenage pregnancy has become (we rarely use the present perfect progressive form in the passive)

It's nice to have someone else to blame.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The teenage pregnancy rate in the States is very high when compared to Europe, though that is down to inactivity here.
    The teenage pregnancy has been becoming a problem in China in recent years. Our political books 'explain' the reason for this, 'It's because of the corrupt thoughts brought in from the west countries since the reforming and opening-up of China'.
    Considering China's population, it is likely that these thoughts were firmly intrenched in China already. :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member